Tiling on to wooden stud

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to finish off a tiling job in our bathroom and don't really know how best to do it. The tricky bit ( in my mind) is the stud wall reveal. The tiles cover the face of the stud wall (which is plasterboard) but I am not sure how to get around the edge of the timber stud. Can I tile straight on to the cls timber? Or would I have to plasterboard the reveal and try to cut a tile to cover the depth of the board? Hope this makes sense?! Any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
I am trying to finish off a tiling job in our bathroom and don't really know how best to do it. The tricky bit ( in my mind) is the stud wall reveal. The tiles cover the face of the stud wall (which is plasterboard) but I am not sure how to get around the edge of the timber stud. Can I tile straight on to the cls timber? Or would I have to plasterboard the reveal and try to cut a tile to cover the depth of the board? Hope this makes sense?! Any help would be great.

any chance of a picture mate ?

Not really sure I understand what you have; are you saying you have built a stud wall & left the internal timber stud exposed at the end? The studwork should be covered with plaster board, how wide is the timber? I would not advise tiling straight onto timber, it’s extremely absorbent which will affect tile adhesion. What size/type of tles do you have?

You should be using Moisture Resistant plasterboard in a bathroom & if the stud wall forms a shower enclosure, waterproof tile backer boards otherwise you need to tank the plasterboard if you want it to last any length of time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back