tiling to ply wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've had a good look but can't see nothing. I am building an extension which will have ensuite. I want to tile it. 2 walls will be stud work, could i attach 12mm ply to this and tile direct to the ply? or is there a better way?

whats the cheapest way to do my beeze block walls. its probably going to be dot and dab, then skimmed. Or would it be better to get a one coat plaster on there with a fairly smooth finish and tile direct ontot hta. Or should i just dot and dab and not skim.

thanks for any advise.

Sponsored Links
Plasterboard the studwork and tile onto that. Bond coat then skim the blockwalls, or dot n dab then either skim or tile on top of that Stay away from one coat, rubbish unless a small patch.

i was abit worried the plasterboard may die if it gets damp? Hence why i thought ply would be good.

Plasterboard is fine in a bathroom. If it's around a shower then it needs to be tanked with a waterproofing product prior to tiling.

Sponsored Links
ok plasterboard sounds good, is it best to skim it or not, and what sort of cost am i looking at to "tank" the area around shower, approx 4m2? if ply is ok then im happy to pay more for the sheet, i just need to know?

Will the plasterboard need replacing if i want to retile in a few years?

thanks

I was advised that skimming isn't necessary. You're looking at around £45 for a tanking product, well worth the money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back