wall prepperation for no more ply board; queries?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 90 50 ' s house in West Sussex built with London brick external and clinker hollow block internal.

In prepperation for tiling I have removed all of the existing tiles using a chisel drill. This took the tiles and plaster off very cleanly in most instances leaving the original coat of bonding. In some places I was a little heavy with the drill and broke through the bonding back to the clinker wall.

This is where I get a little stuck....

The original bonding is solid and very difficult to remove. My thoughts are...

1. I ether remove all of the bonding prep the remaining block walls with a stabilizer/sealer and then dot/dab and hammer fix backing board on to the walls before tiling.

2. Stabilize/seal the walls and dot and dab backing board directly to the existing bonding etc...

3. Repair the existing bonding where damaged to level walls then after drying seal and dot and dab board etc..

option 3 is my preferred option as breaking the old bonding from the wall is very difficult and the clinker wall behind is very soft and tends to to fall apart with very little pressure from the drill.... Please let me know your thoughts??

Also no more ply recommend using tile adhesive to dot and dab the tile backer....Any recommendations on a product that will give you a suitable build up on an uneven surface? Would gypsum dot and dab be suitable?

Thanks,

Laurence

Sponsored Links
Why are you considering to dot n dab?
If the basecoat is in good nick, other than areas requiring remedial work, why not just skim walls then tile? Or is there something you have not explained yet?

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Yes your rite, I didn't mention that the room is going to be a wet room so needs to be sealed. Hence the use of the no more ply.

Photos of walls attached for info

I've been told you can't tile on to bonding so assume this is the same for using tile adhesive to dot and dab?

Thanks

L

Sponsored Links
I am in the same boat!

Wondering if I am going to have to re-skim before I can put backing board on via dot and dab and plug and screw.

Maybe their special glue attaches to bonding...?

Have you tried calling the no more ply team? Was in tile giant today to see if any of the chaps there had some insight. They tried to call them, but it was gone half five so no response.

I emailed their support today to ask if the boards could be stuck to my walls with their failing skin coat and exposed bonding, stating I would be removing any unsound skim that might reveal a lot of not a complete wall of bonding plater. This is the response I got...

>>>
The 6mm NoMorePly boards will be fine to use on the Wall you have described, installed as below;
1) Remove any loose plaster from the wall
2) Prime the wall with NoMorePly SBR primer (mixed 1 part primer, 3 parts water)
3) Use the same diluted SBR primer to prime both sides of the NoMorePly 6mm boards
4) Use a single part, rapid set flexible powder tile adhesive to fix the boards to the wall, and use the MegaStrength tube adhesive around the edge of each board to ensure the joint lines are sealed and waterproof
5) If you are unsure of the ‘soundness’ of the bonding plaster you should make a mechanical fixing with masonry screws and plugs for added security
6) Your wall is then waterproof and ready to tile.

Please see our installation guide on YouTube for further information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i3a2gaRI1Y
<<<

I also asked if you could use none rapid set adhesive, which you can.

Hope this helps someone!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back