New syphon but the loo still won't flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
A friend of mine's close coupled WC has been playing up. Sometimes it flushes after a few presses of the handle but most times it won't flush at all. We had a look and it seemed that the syphon wasn't working properly (the ball valve is fine, and the cistern fills up with no problem).

We spent ages fitting a new universal syphon tonight. When it didn't flush the wc on the 6 litre factory setting we changed it to 9 litre capacity (which was the same as the one we removed) but it still won't flush.

3 hours later I am totally stuck :confused: Have you got any ideas about what might be going wrong?

Thanks in advance, Rachel

Sponsored Links
Could be a duff siphon. Only ever had one but it happens.

What happens? Does it feel like you're lifting water, with the handle?

Sponsored Links
It feels like some water is being lifted by the handle but only a little bit. We've already had the cistern off the wall twice. I wish we'd checked for a blockage the last time!

Are you SURE the syphon is the correct height for the cistern - 'universal' may not be!
Does the thing start to flush and then stop? or never get started?

if the new syphon is taller than the old, the link from the handle might not be lifting the thing up enough. Or the link might be the wrong length.

Is there much movement of the handle before the thing on top of the syphon starts to move?

p.s. I prefer Flapper Valves

nip down B+Q and get a flapper valve ;) .......syphons are so 19th century

Thanks for your help.
We raised the height of the water in the cistern and lengthened the wire on the syphon that connects to the handle and it fulshed. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back