New tap, stiff valve so soon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installed a new kitchen tap, to replace a 10 year old one where the cold valve had got rather stiff. Perfect - silky smooth ceramic valves in the new tap! But now after just 3-4 weeks, the cold tap has once again got really stiff. I don't understand how this is possible - the water is not very hard, maybe a little but not enough to cause stiffness so quickly, surely? Could there be some debris in the pipework damaging the valve (a 10 year old house)? Any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
some combis can drop scale into the hot taps, I used to live in places that got water from chalk hills, and you needed a strainer on some boiler HW outlet to catch all the flakes otherwise they lodged in the taps. But you say yours is the cold tap, does that mean it has two independent controls rather than a combined one?
I'd probably call the manufacturer for a return, see what they suggest,

Sponsored Links
Best contact the retailer in writing and air your concern with them,say the cold water tap is becoming progressively harder to turn and the hot tap is ok.

They will pass your enquiry to their supplier :!:

some combis can drop scale into the hot taps, I used to live in places that got water from chalk hills, and you needed a strainer on some boiler HW outlet to catch all the flakes otherwise they lodged in the taps. But you say yours is the cold tap, does that mean it has two independent controls rather than a combined one?
I'd probably call the manufacturer for a return, see what they suggest,

5 year guarantee .... take it back, may be a faulty item. If it does it again then look to your supply for the problem (y)

Best contact the retailer in writing and air your concern with them,say the cold water tap is becoming progressively harder to turn and the hot tap is ok.

They will pass your enquiry to their supplier :!:

Thanks all, will do!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back