New Tape Measure

Reaction score
Country
France
I bought a new tape measure the other day.
I expect, like others, I usually have a variety of tape measures lying around, a little 1.5 - 3 metre, a 5 metre, a 10 meter and a 30 metre, plus a variety of rules, squares, etc.

As I was in the BM, and my 5 metre rule was getting a bit ragged, I picked up a new one.
Normally, I don't pick and choose, much, just pick up the one that looks like it'll do the job.
But I am pleasantly surprised.

It has a 'down' and an 'up' hook. It is printed on both sides of the tape. On withdrawing the tape, the brake automatically applies, and you use the usual buttons to retract the tape.
As said, I am pleased with it. Some thought seems to have gone in to the design.

Attachments

• IMG_0544.JPG
    IMG_0544.JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0545.JPG
    IMG_0545.JPG
    322.7 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0546.JPG
    IMG_0546.JPG
    330.8 KB · Views: 152
Sponsored Links
Down and up hook found on Stanley Fat Max, Hultafors and other tapes. Lock on braking is a nice feature on Bahco tapes and Bahco stainless steel tapes and Hultafors tapes are double sided too, with some Hultafors tapes (the Talmeter ones) having a pull out tail (for want of a better name) to allow accurate measurement inside window openings, etc. Any decent tape will be accuracy class 2. Nice to see that some cheaper tapes are aping the better brands. Wonder how long they'll last, though

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an advent class 1 tape measure. I'm scared of tape measures :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I had a fancy fatmax one for Christmas, and one with a magnetic hook, good for measuring steelwork. Still got kinked and ruined just the same as the 50p ones.

i got a milwaukee 8m at a trade show, and its been great, love the measure on both sides, double and magnetic hook, also a small area under thre measure where you can hold the tape with your finger.
does not have the pull out tail, but i have a matey measure adapter for getting the tape right/accurately into corners. The magnetic end has suprisingly come in very useful a few times now.

I've had a Fatmax XL tape for probably 15 years now, and I'm amazed it's lasted that long, but I would not use any other tape for general measuring. Yes it's got the hooks, but it just does not bend either - which is a tape's biggest problem.

My other favourite for marking timber is a Fisco tape with lead at the front and rear edge and it's so useful for marking or drawing arcs.

Not much point in having metric both sides really!
Especially if you are left handed and csn read upside down? I use a metric only tape a lot of the time because I'm right handed and i dont like reading upside down (think about the relative positons of the Imperisl and metric scales on the tape)

Any tradesman that can't use both hands is handicapping himself as far as I'm concerned, as for reading a tape upside down, back to front, left to right, I haven't ever considered it an issue. It pays to be ambidextrous in a manual job.

Two hands is nice, but not always possible when working at height, for example (on a roof, scaffolding tower, cherry picket, top of a ladder, etc).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back