Hard to find a decent tape measure? (specifically, the hook)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone else agree that the hook at the end of a tape measure should be completely fixed with no play whatsoever? Only my granddad's old tape measure is like this; all other tape measures I've encountered, regardless of price, have a loose hook that will give a slightly different measurement (by two or three millimetres) depending on whether the tape is compressed or under tension. Does that not bother anyone else?

I suppose a reasonable work around might be to use epoxy to try to fix all the hooks on my tape measures in the correct places, but I do wonder why, if they were able to fix them in place decades ago, why they don't now.

Sponsored Links
Thats intentional, surely...depending whether you are taking an internal measurement or an external one.....the free play is in accordance with the thickness of the tape material.
John :)

I was told that they are loose so that when the tape is 'snapped' back the end doesn't break off.

Andy

The play is intentional as burner says and is there so you can take internal and external measurements, you will find the movement in the hook is the exact same as the thickness as the hook.

Sponsored Links
The play is intentional as burner says and is there so you can take internal and external measurements, you will find the movement in the hook is the exact same as the thickness of the hook.
Ditto, with a wee edit :)

:D Thanks guys! That explains it! Thank goodness times have moved on since the crap the sold as a tape measure decades ago!

I can imagine the OP wanting to buy one of these in the shop "no, broken ... no, broken ..... no, broken .... no ...."

Stanley FatMax tapes have the best hooks, and are the best tapes for that matter

www.stanleytools.co.uk/product/146972

20304_prev.jpg

I can imagine the OP wanting to buy one of these in the shop "no, broken ... no, broken ..... no, broken .... no ...."

Lol! That's pretty much exactly what it's been like every time I've encountered a tape measure! I've been checking every make/model I've come across.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back