new thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there I have this old thermostat it has a black an brown wire connected with a earth an grey wire not used I'm looking at a new smart thermostat but to my understanding I need constant power would I get this from current set up

Attachments

• PXL_20221024_135746944.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221024_135746944.MP.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 59
  • PXL_20221024_135717147.jpg
    PXL_20221024_135717147.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 74
Sponsored Links
my understanding I need constant power would I get this from current set up
That may depend on the connections available at the other end of the cable.
For a simple solution, you could consider something like a battery operated Nest Thermostat E?

Reactions: CBW
The earth is only connected to the metal back box, not the thermostat. The grey could be a neutral wire. Plenty of options to choose from as per @RandomGrinch a Nest E could be used, as could any other battery operated thermostat. If the grey is neutral then other thermostats could be used, and depending on your setup/boiler then there are other options too.

What “smart” thermostat were you considering?

Last edited:
The earth is only connected to the metal back box, not the thermostat. The grey could be a neutral wire. Plenty of options to choose from as per @RandomGrinch a Nest E could be used, as could any other battery operated thermostat. If the grey is neutral then other thermostats could be used, and depending on your setup/boiler then there are other options too.

What “smart” thermostat were you considering?

dont no if links aloud but this one

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
So yes, looking at the wiring diagram it needs a permanent live and permanent neutral, depending on your boiler/setup one of those wires might be permanent live, and if you can test the grey, that might be a permanent neutral, so in essence it’s a possibility.

So yes, looking at the wiring diagram it needs a permanent live and permanent neutral, depending on your boiler/setup one of those wires might be permanent live, and if you can test the grey, that might be a permanent neutral, so in essence it’s a possibility.
i have tried to test the wires but getting nothing from black or grey no voltage at all so i dont no if im doing it wrong or not

i have tried to test the wires but getting nothing from black or grey no voltage at all so i dont no if im doing it wrong or not
The grey would need to be connected the other end. Black is possibly the switch live. Test between the brown and earth and then switch the thermostat to the in position and test the black.

The grey would need to be connected the other end. Black is possibly the switch live. Test between the brown and earth and then switch the thermostat to the in position and test the black.
I have tried to test the wires but seem to get nothing at all an tried to put thermostat at different positions and get nowt

• Thanks
Ok, what is your current setup, eg combi boiler?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back