Sanity check on boiler wiring

I was being a little bit facetious. As in they're all copper in the core. Dan was being a little bit of a nob.
Doitall You're quite right, you can sleeve one of the others. Obviously the earth is needed as an earth.

Dan are you seriously saying you wouldn't reuse a wire as neutral because it was previously the wrong colour?
If you believe that's against a reg please point to it and I'll stand corrected.

Sponsored Links
If the wire was surface mounted end to end I might.

If not, why would I want to put some other poor sod at risk because of bone idleness.

Same as using an earth wire as a conductor and sleeving it.

Not good enough.

If I could be bothered to look it up I am sure I can find something that explains current colour coding clearly. However, from memory I think it is Appendix D of the Part P Building regs where it says colour schemes should be mixed for fixed wiring.

Now about me being a nob? Cock.

Why is always people giving the bad advice that insist others go look stuff up. Why don't you go look it up?

If the wire was surface mounted end to end I might.
- so you'd go ahead and use the existing if it were not surface mounted, and break the rule you thought existed.

Write N on the blue sleeving. 514.
Blue sleeving alone would be hard to misunderstand.

I sent you looking for a precluding reg because it doesn't exist.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies guys, although it degenerated into name calling it was still helpful. I see what you mean now about the possibility of reusing a cable and sharing a general live.

If I do go ahead and get this installed though, I think I might leave it to a professional.

Just out of interest, can you think of any reason why the original installer would of wired the unused brown general live up to the boiler, yet left it unused (and not terminated at all) in the metal thermostat box? I carefully checked it was live and was a little shocked (excuse the pun) it was, especially as I believe its 230v? I've safely terminated it now but it seems a bit crazy when I can't see when it would ever be useful.

Perhaps he only had a Passing knowledge of electrics, or changed his mind half way through the job.

Either way - hopefully he will do it properly.

Perhaps he had a vague idea about some non existent rule, hasn't looked at Wiring Regulations and made a fool of himself getting it wrong.

Sincerely hope you get someone to do it who doesn't want to rip the cable out of the wall just because he hasn't heard about something as simple as cable marking procedures.
Replacing it because of a silly suggestion that it would be "a risk" or "idle" not to, is a rather pathetic attempt at inflating the job. Listen hard for sucking in air through the teeth.

Relocation has already been suggested.
Why "safer"?
Claims above of "risk", are unfounded.

It could be dangerous and/or prohibited to put it next to the boiler though if the boiler's in a zone inappropriate for such a fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back