new thermostatic mixer shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am installing a new thermostatic mixer shower and was after some advice> At the moment i have the cold water to my bathroom straight off the mains which is about 4 bar and the hot come from a cylinder feed via a header tank which is at low pressure.

Is it possible to put a pressure relief valve onto the cold to bring it down to 2 bar and have a pump onto the hot from the cylinder?

Sponsored Links
The usual method of installation is to run a cold feed from the same storage tank that supplies the hot water cylinder. That way, the hot and cold pressures are more or less identical. You can boost both with a twin impeller pump if required.

stem wrote:
The usual method of installation is to run a cold feed from the same storage tank that supplies the hot water cylinder. That way, the hot and cold pressures are more or less identical. You can boost both with a twin impeller pump if required.

Thanks for that.

I understand that the method you have described is the best way to do it but would the way i described work?

Sponsored Links
I'm not too sure , but in theory if the cold mains pressure and the hot water pumped pressure are fairly equal you stand a chance.

You would probably need to check the operating specification of the mixer you were planning to use too. I imagine a thermostatic mixer may give better control than a manual one that just regulates flow.

maybe someone will be along soon with something a bit more definitive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back