Plumbing new mixer shower to vented system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Advice required please chaps and chapesses

I am thinking of putting in a thermostatic mixer shower to replace a tap mixer set up. I have a hot water cylinder and header tank. I know that its best to bring cold water from the tank and hot from the cylinder independently, but this would involve a lot of pipework and mess.

I have also read it is possible to simply branch off the existing hot and cold in the bathroom, but it states the first option is better. Why is this, what is the reason for a separate supply right from the tank/cylinder?

Should I also install check valves, will these impede the flow of water and pressure?

Thanks in advance people.

Sam

Sponsored Links
you need an independent supply as if someone uses hot water downstairs for example then the pressure/flow rate to the shower will drop, etc and althought it's a thermostatic mixer you are fitting it's still better to have a separate pipe from the HWSV and Cold water tank (not the feed and expansion/header tank tho)!!!

check valves - manufacturers instructions tell you if you require these, I don't have any, I think electric showers fed from the mians require these.

Hi there,

Yes sort out a separate supply. This could also then be pumped if better shower is required.

With regards the check valves, they are not always neccessary on new showers as they are now normally built in, but check MI instructions and follow those as not doing so would invalidate any guarantee.

Rico

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back