New toilet advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am hoping someone can give me a bit of advice. I've just got a new Sandringham close coupled toilet with a horizontal pan outlet.

The outlet to the soil pipe on the new toilet is approximately 5 inches. The problem I have is that the existing soil pipe seems very low to the floor about 3 inches. I am guessing that I will need to cut the soil pipe back. Is it best to use a proper soil pipe cutter for this or can I use an angle grinder or hacksaw?

The next question I have is what do I do about the height difference? Will I be able to use a flexible connector?

Hopefully you can see in the photos below.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Richard

Sponsored Links
Hi

Iit best to use a proper soil pipe cutter for this or can I use an angle grinder or hacksaw?

The next question I have is what do I do about the height difference? Will I be able to use a flexible connector?

Richard

]
You can cut that lead pipe with a carpenters handsaw - but I wouldn`t bother trying to connect it inside the house - hopefully you`ve got enough outside to join into before it branches into the stack - run a new plastic one @ the correct level through the wall from the WC.

Sponsored Links
Hi , thank you for all the replies. I'd rather not put a new pipe in through the wall, I think that is beyond my diy skills and equipment I have available to me.

Do you think it's feasible to cut the soil pipe back close to where it comes into the wall use an offset connection then a flexible connector?

From floor to the centre of the soil outlet on the toilet is 7" the soil pipe from the outside is 4" that is going to be quite an angle, will that be okay?

Thank you

With the new cistern placed on the new pan and pushed up against the wall, how much room is there between the wall and the new soil outlet? You might well find that the angles are too tight for an offset unless you build a box to hide the bends and push the pan out into the room, or bite the bullet and either find a way of getting a new hole and external joint to the stack yourself or by getting your wallet out and pay someone else, who would also be able to tidy up the external brickwork afterwards.

how much room is there between the wall and the new soil outlet?
Gonna be tight, 165mm outlet to wall:
5_1_24A_b.JPG

Thank you very much for the replies.

Do you think the best option is to return the toilet? Would there be a toilet that would be more suited to my arrangement? Or is that height pretty standard?

Or should I arrange for a plumber to sort me out with a new soil pipe coming in to the house? How much do you think it would cost me to get a new soil pipe in?

Thank you so much.

Richard

Whereabout is the toilet - ground floor, first floor? Where the pipe comes out of the wall, how long is the run before it enters the stack? Cutting a hole in the brickwork and making good afterwards is rarely a problem, but getting it to the stack which may, or may not be worth replacing (sorry, it's one those whistling, shaking head answers :LOL:) will determine the cost.

Looking at that picture, it looks like someone's already had the brick above it out already. Get a couple of local quotes - can't see you being stung too heavily TBH as it looks simple enough. Less than £1million, unless yu want it doing Sunday ;)

I think this is the way forward rather than a bodge job with two offset connections which I think is what I would need to do.

I think I'll get three quotes in. How difficult would it be to do it myself? My only problem would be going through the wall would it be a case of knocking a brick out and some plaster on the inside? Then making good the outside wall and inside plaster?

I imagine the soil pipe connection would be straight forward?

Cheers

Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back