Toilet troubles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not really in trouble yet ! but looking to replace low level toilet which is the original one and the house was built in the early 60s! it has an S outlet into a soil pipe which comes up through the floor and is sealed into the soil pipe collar with what feels like a putty type of material! I just wondered what to expect will the pan outlet just "butt up " to the Soil pipe? or will the soil pipe have some sort of socket into which the pan outlet will fit snugly? and if I get a replacement pan with an S outlet should I use a straight connector into the soil pipe? presuming the connector will fit inside the soil pipe with some sort of rubber gasket to act as a seal! Would be grateful for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help that looks good. A silly question perhaps but! The centre of the soil pipe is 9 inches away from the wall so I may have to cut the horizontal run of the new flush pipe a few inches longer than it is now am I right in thinking that the horizontal run of the flush pipe is not too critical! thanks again!

Flush pipe will be fine. It's the 'Close Coupled' W.C.'s that cause issues, as the cistern is fixed to the pan, and the pan position is governed by the soil pipe, you often find the cistern is miles away from the wall, so battening is needed to fill the gap.

Probably is putty in the soil pipe joint, although if still soft it could be 'Plumbers Mait' a non setting putty. Possibly a piece of rag, newspaper or rope stuffed in there first to stop the putty oozing through the bottom of the joint. Remove existing pan with care, you don't want to lose anything down the drain!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply I am beginning to feel a little more confident the old sealant is very dry but does "give" a little if pushed with a screwdriver or such! so I am hoping it will be straight forward but as you say I will take it slowly.I have spotted a Twyfords pan with a ceramic S outlet would using that with a straight connector fitting inside the soilpipe instead of putty be a viable option perhaps!

As I found out looking for a customer recently there are very few BO closed couple toilets available in the UK. In fact I think it was 7 in total that I found. I think Twyfords do just 2.

A straight connector will do the job or possibly an offset straight connector if the centre of the waste outlet isn't quite right.

Which Twyford did you go with? Think one was an E100 but can't remember the other one right now.

Jon

Still deliberating at the moment Jon but it is not a close coupled but a low level Pan which looks like it could be a like for like replacement for the existing one which is a "New Selecta" I may retain the old cistern to save moving the water inlet as it has a dual flush valve fitted! and hopefully just need to use a new length of flush pipe to connect the pan to it My only concern using a straight connector is how high it may sit out of the soil pipe if it sits to high I dont want the weight of the pan pressing down on it causing any problems but I suppose I worry to much! Thanks for your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back