New Transformer required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have power delivered to my home from a 14KW transformer up a pole in my garden; it also supplies my neighbour. I am about to have 10KWp Solar PV array installed that will feed back through this transformer. My house has usual domestic loads as do the two small holiday lets (converted granary and stables). So far so good.
When I mentioned I also want to add a small touring caravan/motorhome site for up to 5 vans (each will require 16A 230V supply) they decided they would have to upgrade the transformer and supply cables at considerable expense (c.£15K). Anyone know what the minimum power that they should be supplying to me and my neighbour? It is an old transformer but I don't know it age. Thanks for any advice/help :)

Sponsored Links
Depends on the connection agreement when the supply was installed. If you want more capacity, you do have to pay. Your supply sounds smaller than usual (18kw per connection is typical here), but there is no requirement or obligation of your DNO to provide a minimum size.

How long is the HV ( 11Kv ? ) line that supplies the transformer. This could affect the terms and conditions ( or even permission ) to feed in from your solar invertor to the network. Feed ins invariably raise the local network voltage and the rise in voltage is dependent on the impedance of the supply to the property.

Your neighbour(s) may suffer from over voltages generated by your solar invertor if the system is not designed and set up to suit the local network conditions.

Westie will have more informed knowledge.

Sponsored Links
Lectrician
Thanks for your comment, we only moved in last Nov and the TX looks very old :(
Bernardgreen
The HV is c. 100m and there are two (?) The DNO had already advised we could go up to 14 KWp - I should have realised that it was limited by the TX !! I will mention your comment about overvoltage to the designer/electrician, thanks very much!

Bob :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back