New TRV, which end?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just fitted a new TRV to the rad outlet for convenience and because it’s reversible flow & the instructions allowed it.
The rad warms up fine but will it be as efficient as fitting the TRV to the inlet? Do rads with TRVs need balancing? If so can a rad with the TRV on the outlet be balanced & how?

Sponsored Links
no difference in efficiency and if you need to balance the rad use the lockshield on the other end, the only reason trv`s used to be specific for positioning was a noise issue when it was trying to close

Thanks ianmcd
I thought balancing was achieved by opening the inlet fully and restricting the outlet to the rad with the ls until the correct temp drop was achieved. How might I do this with the ls on the inlet? Is balancing necessary at all with TRVs?
Thanks. :confused:

You may have thought that but if you think again then you will realise that its the flow through the rad that you need to adjust.

That can be done on the lockshield because everything is in series.

All rads need balancing and its done with a TRVs fully open.

A TRV better senses the room heat if mounted on its side and better still if mounted on the cooler return.

Having said that, without a better reason ( access, cooler end of room etc. ) I prefer to fit TRVs on the flow.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Slightly off topic......
How would I install a TRV if I want both TRV and lock shield on the inlets of one side of a radiator? I need to do this to make the overall width less than normal.

You can't.

Unless the tapping for the valve insert is part of the rad rather than the little round ball welded on the back.

If it is all one piece you can create an injector tube.

Not quite sure I understand your reply, when I look at my radiators the top inlet where the bleed valve is fitted looks identical to the TRV inlet. So I imagined I can fit both valves on just one side of the new radiator....

I know what you want and I know how to do it!

You need a 1/2 male to 15 mm compression elbow into the rad at both ends.

Then a straight line lockshield and similar TRV so they end up vertical with the knob under the rad controlled from the inside.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back