New TV with built-in sat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not for me, but for a friend...

He has a dish with dual downlead from the dish, which went into a receiver. He is about to buy an LG TV which includes Freeview and Freesat, but has a single socket on the back for the cable out to the LNB. He wants to do away with the sat receiver and use instead just the TV on the dish - will it work please?

Sponsored Links
Not for me, but for a friend...

He has a dish with dual downlead from the dish, which went into a receiver. He is about to buy an LG TV which includes Freeview and Freesat, but has a single socket on the back for the cable out to the LNB. He wants to do away with the sat receiver and use instead just the TV on the dish - will it work please?

Bear in mind that with a single LNB connection that the TV recording feature will be limited to the sat channel being viewed unless the set allows the user to watch Freeview whilst recording Freesat.

It will work, but from my experience with dish + antenna + LG TV, the freeview antenna is better

Sponsored Links
My dish might be old too.

Will work fine. Lg auto scan is easy, and with some models of you plug a usb drive in you can pause and record tv.

Will work fine. Lg auto scan is easy, and with some models of you plug a usb drive in you can pause and record tv.

Yep, he bought a usb drive for his older TV, expecting that to work, but it wouldn't. I was buying another set, so bought the drive from him - now he needs another drive.

My Icecrypt STC3250CCIHD box gives me loads of free satellite channels, in theory the TV should do the same, but it doesn't. I will guess the TV is either only picking up horizontal or vertical not both, but that is just a guess, since I use Sky Q with that TV it does not worry me, the LNB I have is a hybrid so 4 normal outputs and two special sky.

The free to air satellite is a world better than freeview where I live, Moel y Sant transmitter does not do commercial channels, so no "4Music, 4seven, 5SELECT, 5STAR, 5USA, Aljazeera English, BBC Four HD, BBC News HD, Blaze, Blaze +1, CBeebies HD, CBS Drama, CBS Justice, CBS Reality, Challenge, Channel 5 +1, CITV, YAAAS!, Dave, Dave ja vu, DMAX, Drama +1, Film4 +1, Food Network, Forces TV, FreeSports, GB News, GREAT! movies, GREAT! movies action, HGTV, Horror Channel, ITV2 +1, ITV3 +1, ITV4 +1, ITVBe +1, More4 +1, Now 70s, Paramount Network, PBS America +1, pick, Quest +1, Quest Red, Quest Red +1, Really, RT HD, Sky Arts, Sky News, Smithsonian Channel, Talking Pictures TV, TCC, Together TV, Yesterday +1" which means freeview is silly, don't know why they bother transmitting.

So I can use a Sky Q box, in 3 rooms, I have 4 boxes, so I use the Icecrypt STC3250CCIHD box in my bedroom, I have an old Sky box, but it uses a SCART lead, not HDMI, so the picture is not as good, so it's a toss up, the Icecrypt STC3250CCIHD box which is HD and good picture, and old Sky box which has a good program guide but poor picture.

In the main TV's with satellite are free to air, not freesat, the difference is the electronic program guide, freesat has a 7 day guide same as Sky, free to air is in the lap of the gods, mine I get the guide for program being watched, and some others, but not all.

In the main I retire and want to watch the same program as I was watching on Sky Q, so not problem, I know Drama works and Gold does not, so I know if free to air will work, and which program, even with commercial freeview which I could get in Flintshire, satellite was still better.

The free to air satellite is a world better than freeview where I live, Moel y Sant transmitter does not do commercial channels, so no "4Music, 4seven, 5SELECT, 5STAR, 5USA, Aljazeera English, BBC Four HD, BBC News HD, Blaze, Blaze +1, CBeebies HD, CBS Drama, CBS Justice, CBS Reality, Challenge, Channel 5 +1, CITV, YAAAS!, Dave, Dave ja vu, DMAX, Drama +1, Film4 +1, Food Network, Forces TV, FreeSports, GB News, GREAT! movies, GREAT! movies action, HGTV, Horror Channel, ITV2 +1, ITV3 +1, ITV4 +1, ITVBe +1, More4 +1, Now 70s, Paramount Network, PBS America +1, pick, Quest +1, Quest Red, Quest Red +1, Really, RT HD, Sky Arts, Sky News, Smithsonian Channel, Talking Pictures TV, TCC, Together TV, Yesterday +1" which means freeview is silly, don't know why they bother transmitting.

Here, there is not much difference between freeview and free to air satellite, some channel on FTAS not on FV, equally some on FV not on FTAS. Rather than keep switching, we settle for FV.

Moel y sant transmitter has very few channals, freeview is really a non starter. It is very easy to say what you have, but until you say what area you live in, rather pointless.

I would not consider freeview where I live, it is totally useless. Even where I did live with Moel y Parc transmitter free sat had far more channals which I wanted to watch. I am not interested in Welsh language TV, shopping channals, or sex channals, what I want is the likes of ITV 3 and ITV 3 +1 which does not turn off at midnight half way through what I am watching.

At moment watching 5Star which is not on freeview.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back