New upvc ceiling

B

brian1104

Hi. I'm currently in the process of re vamping my bathroom. I'm planning on fitting a upvc ceiling as part of the re vamp. What down lights are suitable for these ceilings ie ip65,ip44, 240v,12v!!!! I'm planning to fit an extractor fan to deal with condensation. would this eliminate the chance of mould between the existing ceiling and new one? Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The only downlights which will be suitable will be LED. Anything else will be too hot, and will discolour the plastic.
You should also select downlighters which can only accept LED lamps, to prevent people fitting halogen ones in the future.

The only way to prevent mould between the original ceiling and the plastic will be to ensure that the space is totally sealed from the bathroom - as in air tight. This will be extremely difficult, or even impossible.

What's wrong with a normal ceiling?

The ceiling was skimmed when we first moved in and painted. The light I fitted at the time plus a problem with the wiring in the house caused the light to overheat and this caused the plaster to crack. The house has been totally rewired so that problem is fixed.

Basically I have seen the upvc ceilings in other houses iv recently worked in and they look the part.... thought it would be the ideal way to brighten the place up without doing a full re fit.

Like you say.... it would be impossible to make the void air tight and I dnt want the problem with mould. I know it would be out of sight out of mind but It would worry me.

Would the extractor fan be sufficient to remove the moisture plus i was thinking as the bathroom ceiling is below the loft, would fitting air vents to create an air flow help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back