New uPVC Soffits/Fascias - should the old wooden ones be removed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering having my old wooden soffits & facias (and attached guttering) replaced by a firm that has done a nice looking work on a nearby house. Online reviews of the company look very good.

The neighbour said that they fixed the uPVC over the old wood, saying that the wood wasn't too bad. Instinctively, this feels a bit of a bodge, wood still up there to decay out of view should water find a way in.

The house is 'sideways on' style with gables to front & rear.

What do you people feel, acceptable or a bad sign?

Sponsored Links
It's pretty normal, they would use capping fascia. It does need the original wood to be in good condition though. On new builds, it's not uncommon to fit ply fascia, then overclad with capping.

It's pretty normal, they would use capping fascia. It does need the original wood to be in good condition though. On new builds, it's not uncommon to fit ply fascia, then overclad with capping.
Thanks. Obviously I'd be in their hands re them owning up if there was rot up there and not just ploughing on, I suppose. Why would new builds not start out with uPVC, let me guess, cheapest way of doing it?

Thanks. Obviously I'd be in their hands re them owning up if there was rot up there and not just ploughing on, I suppose. Why would new builds not start out with uPVC, let me guess, cheapest way of doing it?

If you rely on the rafter ends, you have polypins wherever there is a rafter which arent always equal distance. If you fit some ply first, you can fit the fascia pins at nice equal 500mm centres.

Sponsored Links
So not a bodge. And I guess removing the barge boards from the gable ends might disturb the end tiles.

How would you feel if the contractor did all this on a ladder? It's a normal two story house with the gable ends quite a pronounced peak above the upper floor, such that you can stand up in the loft easily.

So not a bodge. And I guess removing the barge boards from the gable ends might disturb the end tiles.

How would you feel if the contractor did all this on a ladder? It's a normal two story house with the gable ends quite a pronounced peak above the upper floor, such that you can stand up in the loft easily.

The bottom row of tiles / slates would likely drop down, so would need removing to get the new fascia in place. If you have felt support trays, these would be nailed to the old wooden fascia, so would need removing and refitting, too.

I'd not fancy it from a ladder, it would be a pain trying to safely get a 4m piece of anything up safely and without snapping it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back