New UPVC Window frame bowed / warped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I needed some advice please on new windows I have had installed.

I had bay windows installed, and the end frames (with the openings) that were fitted against the wall on either side were warped/bowed and the window openings were out of square.

The window company then ordered in new frames, which were installed today. I inspected the frames before installation, and they all looked square.

Now that the frames have been fitted, one of them is fine and all good. However the other is still out of square and really obvious.

I observed the installation, and i noticed that the warped frame seemed to be taller, so that it was being forced in. The fitter did take it out and shave the top, but maybe not enough? Frame was square when he took it out, but as he put in fixings you could physically see that it was being pulled out of square.

The fitter got mardy, and said is is within tolerance and would never be perfect.

I just wanted some advice please. I appreciate that windows will never be perfect, however to the eye, they should not be blatantly obvious? Is there a tolerance that is allowed, or should it be expected that the openings are always sitting square?

What do you guys think has caused the frames to warp, before I go back to the window company?

Are there any independent Window Surveyors in Cambridgeshire?

Thank you in advance!

thumbnail_IMG_2498.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2495.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2497.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yep that the sag we were all concerned about when not fitting jacking poles, the warp only shows up on the side windows as they're the ones being pulled out of shape, in terms of the side opener then the frame is being pulled down out of shape but the opener or sash is a seperate element so remains square hence it shows up, my crude diagram shows whats happening, the thin black line is the outer frame, the yellow denotes the side opener and top opener, the X denotes the hinges i.e side hung and top hung and is important when trying to understand why both openers are going in different directions, it is infact only the outer frame that is being pulled out of square, the openers remain square as they are seperate and only joined together by the hinges, effectively the frame is now a parellelogram and the opener within it remains a rectangle hence it shows up
Screenshot_20230517_204315_Noteshelf.jpg

Yep that the sag we were all concerned about when not fitting jacking poles, the warp only shows up on the side windows as they're the ones being pulled out of shape, in terms of the side opener then the frame is being pulled down out of shape but the opener or sash is a seperate element so remains square hence it shows up, my crude diagram shows whats happening, the thin black line is the outer frame, the yellow denotes the side opener and top opener, the X denotes the hinges i.e side hung and top hung and is important when trying to understand why both openers are going in different directions, it is infact only the outer frame that is being pulled out of square, the openers remain square as they are seperate and only joined together by the hinges, effectively the frame is now a parellelogram and the opener within it remains a rectangle hence it shows up
View attachment 303723
Thank you so much for your reply! However the replacement frames were only fitted today! Before the fitted the frames I inspected them, and they all seemed square. Just as they fitted the frame, thats when its become out of square

Looks like this is the upstairs bay? Did they put jacking kits in upstairs? It's possible that it still needs jacking up and there's too much stress on the new frame ( pretty sure this is what Crank is saying too ). Either the frame has too much weight on it or it's too big and has been wedged in causing the bow

Sponsored Links
Yes this is the upstairs bay. No jacking poles were fitted to this

Looks like this is the upstairs bay? Did they put jacking kits in upstairs? It's possible that it still needs jacking up and there's too much stress on the new frame ( pretty sure this is what Crank is saying too ). Either the frame has too much weight on it or it's too big and has been wedged in causing the bow

This is exactly what I was trying to demonstrate, the frame might be square when it's in the van but when you fit it into an opening that isn't square that's when you distort the frame

I observed the installation, and i noticed that the warped frame seemed to be taller, so that it was being forced in. The fitter did take it out and shave the top, but maybe not enough? Frame was square when he took it out, but as he put in fixings you could physically see that it was being pulled out of square.

The fitter got mardy, and said is is within tolerance and would never be perfect.
The frame shouldn't have been pulled out of shape when the fixings were tightened.

Have you been able to check it with a spirit level to see which is actually out of place?

As far as the tolerance is concerned: do the casements open and close (and lock) as easily as they should? What sort of hinges are they?

The frame shouldn't have been pulled out of shape when the fixings were tightened.

Have you been able to check it with a spirit level to see which is actually out of place?

As far as the tolerance is concerned: do the casements open and close (and lock) as easily as they should? What sort of hinges are they?
I put a laser line on the frame today. The right had side is bowed.

I have attached a couple of pictures

Casements all close and open fine.

Attachments

• B9F232C1-252F-42CB-B3FC-73DF45B89FF3.jpeg
    B9F232C1-252F-42CB-B3FC-73DF45B89FF3.jpeg
    321.5 KB · Views: 88
  • B515B9F1-AE77-4EAE-8871-07F3C84D527D.jpeg
    B515B9F1-AE77-4EAE-8871-07F3C84D527D.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 88
I put a laser line on the frame today. The right had side is bowed.

I have attached a couple of pictures

Casements all close and open fine.
From the first photos, it looks to me like the red packer at the top right should be about twice as thick.

If you loosen the fixing yourself it would be very awkward to as the company back after you have changed it, plus the expanding foam might be holding it in place.

That fact that the casements all close and open fine could be described a 'within tolerance' by some people depending on how high their standards are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back