UPVC double glazing draught solution advice - warped frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have done a little investigation and search on here, but have not found my exact issue. After some advice.

Moved into our 1930s detached house 5 years ago. I believe the UPVC double glazing was done in 2001. My sons room is at the front of the house and has a 5 panel bay window with the 2 outer windows opening. When we moved in, the windows wouldn't open, so I had to force them and worked out the reason for them not opening was the plate where the catches go into was too low i.e. when you operate the handle the little latches were not clearing the plate. I readjusted and they work fine. I also noticed that there was a 4mm gap in places, worst at the bottom of the window. On investigation, it seems as though the frame has gone off square, hence the catch plate seemingly having dropped.

I have messed around, hinge adjustment does not cure. The frame is clearly out. As I see it, either the windows were manafactured wrongly or to fit a non square gap, or the roof above the bay which would have originally been supported by substantial wooden frames has sagged a little pushing the frame out of square.

New windows is out for the near future, I'm just after blocking this gap to stop cold air for the winter. My bodger thoughts was to get some expanding foam and fill it up, but I envisage a right job come summer trying to pop the windows again. Last year I taped the gap shut, but the tape soon came loose.

Any ideas to give a good seal that can still leave the windows openable with a little effort next year when the weather warms up?

Sponsored Links
Ideally if you can get some pictures up would help.
Sounds as if your bay may have dropped but really need to see to be able to help.
A sure sign will be cracks at the sides of your bay brickwork/render.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back