New Vaillant Boiler Making Clicking Noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
I had a brand new vaillant ecotec pure 830 fitted about a month ago, and I’ve noticed it makes a very weird clicking noise whenever the hot water tap is run in my bathroom, or when the heating first turns on. I wanted to know if this is normal? It’s not the pipes heating it / expanding, it sounds more like a switch turning on and off repeatedly - goes on for around 1 minute. My last vaillant didn’t do this so it’s very annoying as the boiler is in the kitchen next to where I’m working.

heres a video (note the first noise I think IS the pipes expanding.. which I guess also needs attention?):

I will call vaillant to sort but I don’t want to if this sort of thing is normal...

Thank you

Sponsored Links
No it is not normal , and it isnt heat expansion, you need to get them out

No it is not normal , and it isnt heat expansion, you need to get them out
Thanks for the reply. I called them out - they came today and he said it is the pipes expanding / contracting when the boiler is heating up or cooling down. He took it apart and tightened the nuts, it hasn't done it since. He said it's a design fault (wow) that they've never fixed. Shocking really... Just posting this so people know for future if it happens to them. apparently it's unique to my boiler model.

So, it WAS heat expansion! Good job you spoke to someone who new what they were talking about.

Sponsored Links
I'm aware this is an old thread but Google brought me here as I have the same boiler with exactly the same clicking sound. It sounds almost like the ignigter continually trying to light. It was installed in August 2021 so it doesn't look like Vaillant are too concerned about it. I'm not sure if it's worth calling out the installer under warranty (British Gas) or not?

@John_ON is your clicking noise resolved now? If so is your boiler as quiet as a mouse now? It’s just that I have a clicking noise but it roughly click once every 15 mins or so. And I have no idea what to do

I'm still waiting for the British Gas HomeCare engineer. They cancelled one appointment last week and are (hopefully) coming next Thursday.

Had the same boiler installed july 2022. The clicking noise appears after using hot water for a longer period (dish washing / running shower or bath). It appears around 5-10mins after switching the water off. Called Vaillant, engineer came, did smth with the 4 bolts. Noise is still there but intervals are longer and last shorter time. Called again, same guy came, had a look and said there is nothing can be done, it is a normal expanding/collapsing of metal. Boiler is in perfect condition, works perfectly etc. I sent him videos of clicking and he said he will show it to the guy above him and see what he says.
So i have to get over it i guess and at the moment accept it as normal sound ...

Hi,
I'm a tenant and the previous boiler broke. Called the estate agent and the plumber came and installed this same model. I have the same issue with the noises. It's very annoying, especially during the night when it's quieter and the cracking/clicking will take over the whole house.

So I have made a complaint with the estate agent and the plumber who installed came in today. He wasn't happy about my complaint. He said he was going to tie some bolts but he couldn't see anything obvious and said "it is doing what is supposed to be doing".

Yeah of course he doesn't have one of those at his home I assume.

I don't want to be the annoying person and bother the landlord with this anymore. But I think they should know that this is a brand new boiler and it is making weird loud noises since it's been installed.

This is an interesting thread. Thank you! Thought I was going mad. Just had an Ecotec pure 630 put in three weeks ago. Terrible clicking noise as described by others. 7 times in a row on one occasion as it fired down. Also a couple times as firing up. Eventually British Gas arranged for Vaillaint to come out. The engineer told me that a colleague had told him the heat exchangers had been bolted on too tight and after he loosened the nuts it does not click BUT now it clunks a couple of times as it fires up and when it is on it whines! (Pump?) My previous boiler just purred - pimp was in airing cupboard. The V engineer said there had been a batch of these clicking boilers and they are rectifying as they go. Totally unacceptable in my view. Did they tell their customers? Sounds to me like it's more than the heat exchanger that is wrong with this batch! I'm so fed up with it after many years of a totally quiet old boiler! Got British Gas manager coming out soon to hear it. Vaillant left the house saying boiler now ok!

I had a Vaillant ecofit pure 418 fitted in Oct 22 and am suffering the same clicking noises as it heats up and cools down. Vaillant say the 'fix' is to grease the heat exchanger bolts. British Gas engineer did that and it was quieter for a few days but now its back full time. Other issue with the boiler is the loud fan noises when it starts up, like it does a fan speed test every time. Its all rubbish and very depressing. We replaced a 20yr old Ideal boiler that was much quieter - 3k quid wasted. So now I have to go into consumer rights battle with BG and Vaillant just to get a peaceful life back. Everyone please keep reporting these issues, its the only way we can get back at these companies for selling crap products and advertising them as 'quiet'.

Well, as you can see a number of months have passed since my original post and it would take too much time to write about every detail that has occurred! It is every depressing, you are right and maybe we need a campaign! . We too had a quiet (13 year old) boiler which we were persuaded to part with after being told parts were becoming hard to source. In a nutshell after the the clicking was resolved by Vaillant loosening the bolts on the heat exchanger, the pump whining noise was unbearable. After many men listened to said pump it was changed. Then there were three audible 'clunks' within the first 30 seconds of the boiler firing up. The first of these was particularly loud. Eventually Vaillant suggested replacing the boiler although I just wanted the clunks to stop. They felt I had lost faith in it. New boiler (same model) was put in on Friday 10/2/ 23 and it is actually noisier than the first! Sounds like a plane taking off and the three clunks on firing up are still there but to be fair much quieter! That is obviously not a fault, maybe a design fault? However, we now have a very loud click first thing in the morning to deal with. It is madness !! Oh and they had to adjust the condensing pipe to the outside because water was literally running out of there on to the path and splashing up on the house. Apparently these modern boilers are noisier because the are more efficient . It is truly unacceptable to be putting these things in people's kitchen and expecting them to live with this. Worcester Bosch have a good name but whether they are quieter who knows. I have demanded compensation for the stress, inconvenience, nuisance and disruption and have paid nothing yet! I suggest you get them back to loosen bolts on the heat exchanger, my Vaillant guy said it was a known issue. PS I see above I wrote 'pimp was in the airing cupboard' lol....that was supposed to read 'pump' !!

My brand-new valent was also driving me nuts, making a clicking noise. I had the carry around thermostat in the conservatory with a Dyson fan on I moved the thermostat to a different room, and the clicking stopped, so it was clearly the air circulation from the fan that was making the room cooler so the thermostat said it was getting colder so the boiler clicked in literally and this was going on every minute so I was going mad!!! I've put the thermostat in the sitting room. The boiler is as quiet as a mouse. Just something to try folks

I can now add to this thread. One year old Eco Fit Pure Boiler by Vaillant. About five months ago very loud clicking noises. Disturbs my sleep & happens every time it fires up and down. Completely unacceptable. First service last week & engineer agrees not correct but cannot touch it as under warranty. They will communicate with Vaillant. I await their response. Will keep you informed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back