New valley.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been putting this off but can't any longer as the house is getting wet inside.

I understand the general idea of lay boards (scaffold boards) to catch the jack rafters and then valley boards (6x1?). I'm using GRP valleys (I think they're Danelaw) so hopefully I should manage those with the manufacturer instructions, new tiles will be Marley modern.

I really just want to know if it will all become fairly obvious when I strip the roof, eg do I overhang the lay board at the bottom of the valley and most importantly, where do I position the lay board - is it flush with top of the ridge and the top of the last common rafter at the bottom?

Thanks and sorry if they're obvious questions.

IMG_20201214_114635848.jpg

Sponsored Links
Here’s one of mine by the way, I just did it flush at the top and bottom.

I used 8 x 1 timber for mine, supported by 2 x 1 battons which I fixed to the trusses.

9EE032B9-FAD5-4FF8-A9D0-228DBBE59B89.jpeg

I also bought the compact circular saw especially for the roof - it’s a amazing little tool, made life easier when cutting these boards, and the battens, fasciae, soffits, etc.

Thanks for the pics and link Andy, both a great help. I think I can visualise it now. I guess using trusses rather than a cut roof means you didn't need lay boards. I was surprised to see that the tiles are laid so close to the upstand on the dry valley, I would have expected problems with leaf blockage but if that's how it's done!

I like the saw! I've managed so far with my aincient circular saw and my multitool but hard going:
IMG_20200929_101441624_HDR.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back