New valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve removed an old valve in anticipation of putting on a new radiator. Old fitting stripped down, new fitting leaks...

my he new valve moves, so it’s the new compression fitting and olive. Picture attached. I think I need to remove 10mm of the old pipe so the compression fit is on the widest bit of pipe and thread seal it.

I can’t go about renewing the pipe work at this point. Any other ideas or am I totally wrong?

Attachments

• 744E10C4-E5C4-47B5-B47E-047A9F8C0458.jpeg
    744E10C4-E5C4-47B5-B47E-047A9F8C0458.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
1. The pipe is damaged where a previous compression fittings has been over-tightened causing the olive to crush the pipe.
2. If you can pull enough pipe up from the floor, then, as you suggest, trim to below where the pipe has been crushed and remake the connection. Make sure:
2a. You clean all that paint off where the pipe will enter the fitting.
2b. You have a clean deburred end after the cut. A pipe slice is the best tool, but you could use a hacksaw and deburr with a half round file inside and out.
3. If you can't pull pipe from the floor you could consider:
3a. Making sure there is no water in the pipe.
3b. Unsoldering the damaged pipe from the end feed coupler visible just above floor level, trying to leave the coupling in place on the pipe going into the floor.
3c. Clean up the interior of the top half of that coupler so that a new piece of pipe will go in. Doesn't matter if its a bit tight.
3d. Flux the outside of the new piece of pipe, and solder it into the old coupler.
3e. Trim the new piece to length as required.
4. When fitting the new valve, do the compression fitting to the pipe up a firm hand tight, then 1/2 a turn more with a spanner. Shouldn't be necessary, but, belt and braces, a little JetLube V2 on the angled faces of valve and compression nut.

Cheers. I can pull the pipe up a bit, so will give that a go.

i don’t have the kit to solder up new pipe work. But I have pipe and couplers. I know it’ll look fairy ugly, but as a bodge to give me pipe length can I add in a compression coupler?

that at least allow me to turn the water Back on until a pro can get in

Yes, you can add a compression coupler. If its only temporary you could use a push fit coupler, no inserts needed if you have all copper pipe. If using push fit make sure everything is cleaned back to the copper, and if you don't use a pipe slice make sure everything is square cut and deburred.

Sponsored Links
I opted to nip out and get a pipe slice. I’m changing a few rads and it’s not the on one like this. Just need to make sure I don’t take too much off one pipe and leave the rad skewed when I come to put it back!

currently have levelled pencil lines on almost every wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back