New Waste Pipe to Sewer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all, looking for a bit of advice here or even if its possible!

When the previous owners converted the rear of the garage into a utility room, they ran the waste trap from the sink out to the surface water drainage, obviously I am aware this is not in accordance with building regs so do not use this sink at all and have turned off the water supply to it (save temptation to use!)

I now want to refit the utility room with new cupboards etc and would ideally like to put in a new waste pipe so I can use the sink and ideally put the washing machine in there as well

Problem I have, the house is a dormer bungalow and the soil stack runs internally down the corner of the property from bathroom above down into kitchen then out below ground level into the sewer (manhole cover mid garden) I cannot install a new waste pipe from the sink in the utility room into the soil stack as that would then need to go across the back door, what I was thinking was, have a pipe going through the back wall from the garage down into the ground, dig a trench across the back garden directly into the pipe or perhaps even as far as the manhole,

Would this then comply with building regs? what issues would likely be encountered, building was built around 1970 so would there be any issues connecting to the existing waste pipe would assume it would be clay?

Many thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
As Bahco has said Building Regs approval will be needed for work on drains. Speak to Building Control at the local council, the Building Control Officer will explain what he/she expects to be done. If you're planning on DIY then they can be quite helpful in my experience. It's in your interest to get it right!

I would expect them to allow a connection to the existing sewer at a convenient point, possible an inspection chamber may be required at this point. Then run a 110mm pipe back to required location, and fit a trapped gulley to accept waste pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back