New water tank and element really slow to heat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just got a new water tank and element fitted as the old one looked a bit rough.

Got a local company to fit it.

They put in a smaller tank for some reason but I wasn't going to complain as I was thinking "less water = quicker and cheaper to heat"

However it's taking more than twice as long to heat. Has a 3kw element which I'm sure is the same as the last one.

The old tank heated in 30minutes but this one takes 1 1/² hour .

Any ideas?

I though electrical heating is 100% and and all heaters are identica .

Cheers

PS. Checked the power consumption and its using 3kw

Sponsored Links
dimensions please. Old and new. And colour of insulation.

Did they both have the element going in from the top?

An immersion heater does about 1 litre per minute.

Is the pipe that comes out of the top of the cylinder insulated? If not it will act as a long thin radiator and waste heat.

Some photos might help.

Sponsored Links
dimensions please. Old and new. And colour of insulation.

Did they both have the element going in from the top?

An immersion heater does about 1 litre per minute.

Is the pipe that comes out of the top of the cylinder insulated? If not it will act as a long thin radiator and waste heat.

Some photos might help.

Old tank had beige insulation. New one has blue.

Both had element in the same place at the bottom.

Dimension of new tank are 900x450. Old tank was the same width but was taller. They had to build a wood stand for this one.

No insulation on any pipes. Although I'm going to get a jacket and pip insulation.

1 minute per litre would make sense. If it's a 85litre tank like another I found on the net. Wonder why the last one was so quick.

One thing I can remember about the old tank is that when you first turned it on you could hear the water fizz for a second or two. Don't get that with one.

Just found this under the element cover. The cable isn't secured and the neutral has wires sticking out everywhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back