new window but existing cavity insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I moved into a 1950's house that has UPVC windows and doors (very badly fitted by "fensa" registered fir who threaten complainers with violence!) I have had to go round them all sealing the outside once I found I could see through the gaps at the top of the windows.
The previous occupier was an old lady who's children did the cheapest repairs possible - including the windows, but amazingly forgot about two in a room that has 4 windows!
I have a question about fitting new windows to replace the two original wooden ones - how on earth do I stop all the expanded polystyrene balls of the cavity insulation falling out when I remove the old windows???
It is bad enough making a new hole for a drain pipe!
I am expecting there will be no DPC across the cavities and that there are certainly no cavity closers.

Sponsored Links
I am expecting there will be no DPC across the cavities and that there are certainly no cavity closers

There wont be cavity closers.

Sometimes the brickwork was returned - but not I guess if internal skin is blockwork.

I think donetimes builders sprsy a bit of foam in to stop the balls coming out -works when drilling for core vents, extractors etc

Thanks Notch7, I have used foam for small jobs - perhaps if I drill through the wooden frame here and there and do a quick foam squirt it wil at least help - and will be a cavity closer into the bargain. Just means I'll have to cut through the foam round the frame to get the old one out.

The polystyrene has probably all come out when the fitted the other windows lol!

Also fitting closers into an existing building can be tricky, you normally build around them so if your brickwork is all over the place it'll be time consuming, not saying it can't be done but....

Sponsored Links
Hi crank39
I will find out at the end of the week! - I hope it is not too windy.
The ball cavity insulation is a bit silly, once it is in there is no way of knowing where it is or how much has settled, I'm pretty sure there are huge areas that have none left - certainly upstairs.

Hi crank39
I will find out at the end of the week! - I hope it is not too windy.
The ball cavity insulation is a bit silly, once it is in there is no way of knowing where it is or how much has settled, I'm pretty sure there are huge areas that have none left - certainly upstairs.
You can get an idea with a thermal camera. Not free in a box of cereal but you can rent them or if you really want buy one that fits on your phone.

Thanks to you all.
Well it was not such a problem afterall!
The cavity was blocked, there was a dpc up the cavity with the plaster tight to it so no gap for the insulation to come out.
I've fitted quite a few windows but this one was a ****** to get the glazing strips in. Washing up liquid, piece of wood... rubber mallet you name it ...
checked I was doing it right with several Utube videos - they just depressed me, the guys making those videos just tell the plastic to pop into place and it does it for them! Tired out now! The all of a sudden one end clips in and the rest follow.
Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back