New window sill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace a wooden window sill in my living room as were having the original wall increased in depth by around 1” by adding plasterboard. Therefore the original window sill will probably sit level with the wall now and I’d like to extend it forwards again to regain the space I will lose. Is it hard to replace window sills and where can you get them – I’m used to going to B&Q for most things.

Also, are they cut to size so you can specify the depth/width? How are they secured – No More Nails?

Sponsored Links
Can you not just cover the old with the new, make a feature of the edge that will show the extra thickness. (Just a thort)

sill boards are generally sold off the shelf as m.d.f pre-primed or pirana pine.

the m.d.f product is 25mm thick and is either 225mm or 300mm wide. it can be sold in any length up to 5m.

the pine product is 18mm thick nom. and is usually 225mm wide. again in lengths above 4m.

i find the best way to fix window boards is first dab a plasterboard horizontally to the brick work first. then stick the window board to the plasterboard using a product called 'sticks like s**t.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back