New window - water getting in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. We had new windows fitted a while ago and since then when we get heavy, driving rain, water is getting in. When I raised it with the company they said it was all sealed in and it must be a roof issue. We got a roofer in and fixed several issues so we thought it was all sorted... This morning after a night of heavy rain it’s come back. Anyone have any ideas or recommendations? Thanks

This photo was taken this morning, the higher line was the worst it got a few weeks ago.
yAuKZy5.jpg

Sponsored Links
A few pics of the exterior would be more useful, showing where the window meets the surrounding brickwork/masonry at the top, sides and bottom.

Common cause of that is not sealing the window to the cill also not filling in the ends, this causes water to get between the frame and cill usually with driving rain or wind and it tracking sideways till it gets to the end of the cill thus wetting the reveals

Sponsored Links
Looking at the last 2 pics in particular, I wonder if the water's getting in at the brickwork pointing? It's not looking great.

Looking at the last 2 pics in particular, I wonder if the water's getting in at the brickwork pointing? It's not looking great.
Thanks. I’ll get that looked at as well. Roofer back out tomorrow to double check everything ok there and hopefully the people from the window fitters will be coming out as well. At our wits end and just need it sorting now.

Thanks. I’ll get that looked at as well. Roofer back out tomorrow to double check everything ok there and hopefully the people from the window fitters will be coming out as well. At our wits end and just need it sorting now.
I rarely believe in coincidence. If there were no signs of damp before the windows were installed and the damp started to appear shortly thereafter, to me that indicates something caused by the window install. However at least by getting both the roof and window checked they'll hopefully get to the bottom of it for you.

Thanks guys. Also, when we had it done we had DPC put in between the window frame and the brickwork (to alleviate condensation). But that was on both side of the frame and it’s only leaking at one side so we’re presuming it’s nothing to do with that.

Who did your pointing, Stevie Wonder? :eek:

Assume it's a DIY job. Get some red mortar tone for next time. Let the muck get dryish before applying with a jointing tool, not a shovel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back