New windows just fitted, many questions...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had my whole house fitted with new double glazing. The back bedrooms face onto a fairly busy road, so I asked for acoustic windows, as I had been told that they were AMAZING at blocking out noise. However, every car that drives past can still be heard quite clearly. It’s only a slight improvement on the single glazed timber frames that were in before. I am therefore wondering if they have fitted acoustic windows at all. They have a bs kite mark with bsen12150 stamped on, which I understand to be toughened glass(sills are below 800) and then another etching that says ‘GLS laminated’. Is this GLS the mark of acoustic glazing? I’m just worried that someone may be having me on, as I did haggle the price a bit. Maybe they thought they’d ditch the acoustic and I wouldn’t notice?

Also, none of the frames have been fixed across the top, I assume because there’s a metal plate that they didn’t want to drill through. Is this usual practice? Is it standard to rely on the silicone/caulk to hold the frame in place across the top?

I also had French doors fitted, one of which doesn’t seem to seal properly against the inner black strip when pulled shut, even when the handle is pushed up into locking position.

Various windows seem to have scuffs/scratches actually on the inside of the glazing too.

Are these complaint worthy issues? The thing is, I hate complaining, so would like to have my facts straight before I do so, especially regarding the acoustic glazing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
haunThePrawn, good evening.

Love the user name!

OK
Have you paid the full asking[haggled] cost? if not do not!
Any chance of some digital images of things concerning you?

Ken

I haven’t paid yet, they were only fitted today.

No I have no pictures, I tried to take some of the scratches, but clear as they are to the naked eye, they’re hard to get on camera, especially with the rain on the outside. I will try again tomorrow hopefully it will be dry!

The noise could be down to having trickle vents, are they present? Also I'd expect the window to have expanding foam around all sides to fill any gaps, if not that won't be helping.

I've never had windows fixed at the top, there was no need. Foam yes, but screws no.

The French doors sound like they just need adjusting, should be easy to get them back to do so.

But don't pay until you're happy, as your chances of getting anything fixed after payment decline rapidly!!

Sponsored Links
There are no trickle vents, seemed silly to have them on acoustic windows! I don’t think there was any expanding foam used. I know the frames were quite a good fit, so they probably thought they wouldn’t need any. Should they have used it anyway, even if there’s not much gap around the edges?

The tops of the frames seem to move quite a lot when you press on them though, especially on the wider frames. Enough to pull them away from the caulk at least.

They are coming round later to have a look at the issues I’ve raised, so fingers crossed they’ll sort it.

Thanks for the replies.

I would say you need at least one fixing screw in the tops, foam isn't enough on its on, especially if you have any openers, as over time they will start to move ( as yours already are ) .
Accoustic laminate is what it sounds like they have put in , but accoustic glass doesn't make huge difference to certain sounds BUT , if there is no foam around those windows then sound may be getting in there , or even through the walls, loft space etc , especially if they have not been insulated

Marks inside the glass unit ... some are deemed acceptable I am afraid, look up the GGF regulations . Toughened glass for example, you are supposed to stand 3 metres away from the glass, looking through the glass ( not at the glass ) , and not in direct sunlight .....trust me under those conditions most marks aren't visible BUT any reputable company should change the units if they are fairly visible in non direct sunlight

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back