New windows. No window cill horns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I'm installing new windows that don't have cill horns so will need to adjust the brickwork. I know the "proper" way is to totally remove the brick but I can never get the mortar a similar colour and my bricklaying skills are terrible and I just seem to get most of the mortar on the brick face. With this in mind would it be OK to cheat?

Cut the existing brick at the red line to clean it up. Insert an ickle brick with no mortar line to the existing, just mortar top and bottom? Maybe a little clear silicone to seal stuff up?

upload_2021-8-21_16-32-5.png

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Check that the original window was not installed far too forward in the reveal because if a sil that was too short.

That's the old window. New window the cill will flush with the width

Sponsored Links
a bit of mismatched mortar will not show much.

you can mortar in your new bit of brick while the window is out, giving you good access to squidge your mortar in and clean up. If it's a dry, sunny day, small smears on the brickwork can be taken off with a dry, stiff brush as soon as they dry. Mortar hardens by being damp, and in sunlight, thin smears dry so fast it has no strength. So spray the cavity with water before bricking up, and leave the face dry, or cover it with masking tape.

Do not leave smears or snots in place to get wet with rain, which will strengthen them and cement them into place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back