Building a new window

M

marsaday

Where do i start with putting a new window in my bathroom. i will be bricking up the current one first and then moving it 70cm to the right (if you get what i mean).

It is a solid, non cavity brick wall 235mm thick. The opening will be 640mm and i intend to use one prop with an eye holding up the brick work above the new lintel.

So after i have propped the window how do i go about it?

Do you insert the lintel first or do you do the cill first and then work your way up taking out the bricks in the way and making good the sides?

Sponsored Links
Prop, lintel, then work your way down, cill last. 150mm on your lintel either side dont forget.

Seomark696, Couple questions.
Do you think your post is of any help to the OP?
Do you not think your post is a diabolical liberty blatantly advertising on a free forum?
Is your ultimate motive to rip of Joe public, or to rip of insurance companies?
Do you do anything else, besides removing curry stains from carpets, all as the testimony from Sharon, Liverpool.
old un.

Thanks Alistair

So If i get the lintel in first do i leave it overnight and let it go off. So the next day i can work taking the rest of the window down without having the prop in the way?

Sponsored Links
normally i would get the lintel in and window cut out the same day.
but if you have no time constraints waiting until next day would be more sensible.

yep time is not a problem and i do not want to cut the window if possible. prefer to take it out slowly and rebuild.

So i will insert my lintel and then leave a few days. Then i will start at the bottom and take out the full opening.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back