New windows

The replacement units were done more than 10 years ago. They are fine. Here's a window I am currently working on, the last one for this year. This window was done 2 years ago using ebay silicone sealant for the exterior seal. It shrank and failed. The redo should be complete in 5 days. Marks on glass are undiluted bleach. 30+ year old putty is fine. If not, makes no difference to my repair process.

window.png

Sponsored Links
Just trust me...and all the other professionals in the glass industry who have spoken on this thread... the units WILL fail at some point, we see it day in day out. 2 years old , 5 years old , 10 years old , 15 years old , 20 years old, 35 years old and any age in between...failure can be at any age , this is why the industr tend to only offer a 10 year warranty o most sealed units...as I've said before some won't even warranty if going into wood , they don't say that for fun , there is a good reason and it's the high failure rate due to things like putty and high modulus silicone . Personally we give a five year warranty into wood if we glaze it.
And really suggest you keep bleach away from sealants

And really suggest
People around here know me as someone who doesn't follow suggestions. I listen to what they say, though. I am trying to imbue the wood and putty with bleach. No idea if it works, but it's emotionally passivating.

If I have any failures, I will let you know. Right now, no failures. I do have a wood warped window, that's a fail but the glass units are good.

Im facsinated about this theory you have that AIR breaks down the seal, so seal the edge of the unit from the air and hey presto....!!!

Whilst you may have been lucky in not having a failure thus far I can catagorically say that air does not break the seals down, its age, its UV, its the hardening of the hotmelt, its movement/vibrations, expansion and contraction

Sponsored Links
Whilst you may have been lucky in not having a failure thus far I can catagorically say that air does not break the seals down, its age, its UV, its the hardening of the hotmelt, its movement/vibrations, expansion and contraction
As the unit seals are hidden from the sun, the only conclusion is that they fail from moisture and temperature cycling brought in by outside air. The exterior rubber gasket would fail additionally from UV.

No it's definitely not air, it's like saying skin cancer is caused by air touching your skin....its not

Sealed units in ANY material WILL break down over time. I have already said this numerous times, as has Crank
It is the same as night following day, it WILL happen.
I have had sealed units tested in ' Hotbox ' conditions for Licencing purposes ( yes officially you are supposed to have a licence to manufacture sealed units) and they all have a failure point , they will NOT last forever

No it's definitely not air, it's like saying skin cancer is caused by air touching your skin....its not
Says the man with failing glass units to the man with no failing glass units. But, believe what you must. I am not here trying to sell you glass units, just bantering based on personal experience and belief.

I see that you have some beef with air. I imagine you are trying to justify why PVC windows are full of cavities, where outside air can get to.

I have 34 glass units in the house, 2 of which are diy replaced from a random small workshop style supplier selected because being the cheapest. No failure. A second house with same set up and no replaced units, all fine. It isn't luck. It is proper construction, and correct restoration after some wood failed..

Says the man with failing glass units to the man with no failing glass units. But, believe what you must. I am not here trying to sell you glass units, just bantering based on personal experience and belief.

I see that you have some beef with air. I imagine you are trying to justify why PVC windows are full of cavities, where outside air can get to.

I have no beef with air, you, anybody or anything, I just found it comical actually that you think and still think it's air that fails a double glazed unit and that by some way making the installation air tight that that somehow makes a difference.

I have no beef with air, you, anybody or anything, I just found it comical actually that you think and still think it's air that fails a double glazed unit and that by some way making the installation air tight that that somehow makes a difference.
Yes, air carries water that fails everything. Water affects biology (mould and the like), chemistry (it's a solvent), and electromagnetics (it's an electrolyte). No air, no fail if the UV is excluded.

Yes, air carries water that fails everything. Water affects biology (mould and the like), chemistry (it's a solvent), and electromagnetics (it's an electrolyte). No air, no fail if the UV is excluded.
Thanks for the science lesson! Anyway as much as you may like you can't exclude UV, nor expansion and contraction, nor vibrations, nor the hot or cold. Keeping the perimeter seal away from water WILL NOT stop a unit from failing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back