New Worcester boiler pump noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just had a new Worcester Greenstar 32 compact installed. I’ve noticed that when the heating is on the pump seems to run intermittently, rather than constant. Is this normal for these boilers?

It hums for a few seconds, then stops for a few, hums for a few, stops for a few and so on. I assume it’s the pump as you can hear the water flow increase and decrease accordingly in the radiators. No issues with temperature though.

I’ve never noticed this pattern with any Combi boilers before. It usually seems to be a constant humming rather than stop start. It’s rather noticeable when I’m dozing off to sleep, not particuarly loud, just noticeable enough to be annoying for my overly sensitive ears...

Sponsored Links
I moved into a new home with a Worcester Bosch 24 system boiler and the constantly variable droning of the pump is, as you say, annoying. Often described as the Ford Cortina of boilers, I can’t say that it is anything other than efficient. That said, the Atag in my previous home was whisper quiet compared to the Worcester Bosch. It also had Opentherm control which Worcester Bosch has shunned.

Could be air in the pump/boiler if it wasn't vented properly. You should have a nice constant hum for your overly-sensitive ears to listen to. As Lexden suggests, they're more Ford Cortina than Rolls Royce, so you can't expect too much in the way of soundproofing

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back