New workshop boundary question!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am just starting to build my new workshop. It is going to be a wooden structure of aprox 20 meters square. I have read that if it is a combustable or wooden structure then it needs to be 1 meter from the boundary. I have planned on having it about a foot from the boundary.

My question is, really, if I do go ahead and erect it in my prefered location is anyone really going to say anything? The house that backs onto us have got a wooden structure about 1 foot from the boudary. I see so many wooden garages right upto boundaries, so I am hoping it will not be aproblem as having it that far from the bounaries will eat into much needed garden space.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's likely that level of planning/BC enforcement you encounter will be a function of the number of people you annoy.

So are your neighbours, or people who's view you'll impose on, friendly, aware of the plans, on side?

Gary

Well, will not really affect anyones view as the garden it backs onto is raised by about 2 feet. It can onlt enhance the view of the garden as it is going to be quite a nice looking workshop / lodge type building.

I think my my main concern would be when we come to sell. In the meantime I know that no neighbours will have an issue with it. But, when we come to sell one day will anyone pick up on it?

There are some timeouts - I think 4 year for planning and 5 years for buildng control? If nothing's been said in that period, and you have enough documents to prove the date of construction, then you'll be immune from those aspects, but conveyencing solicitors still tend to flag it and require that someone foots the bill for a ~£150 insurance policy.

Presumably you're okay with restrictive covenants on your deeds?

Gary

Sponsored Links
yep best thing is to not upset the neibours then no one will know :D

i doubt any one actualy knows the 1m rule unless they have a shed less than 5 years old

if its less than 10ft high and quite pleasing to the eye you should be fine

my garden is only 13 ft wide so as you might gather i kept in with the neibours as my shed is 12x10ft
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/bigall2005/?action=view&current=e1e47346.pbw

I know that no neighbours will have an issue with it.

Don't be so sure on that. Going on previous experience and on many different occasions, that was also the thinking behind some of my clients' proposals. It was going through planning and the objections started to appear. People will cause a nuisance if they want to. You'll be surprised.

If it's a workshop certain parties (BC) may well consider it a habitable building.

Thanks for the info and help guys. I think that it is a safe risk worth taking. One of the things in my favour is that most of the houses in our street our housing association houses so the people who live in them don't own them and are less likely to say anything, I think.

Looks like a nice workshop Bigall, looks like it is used a lot. Is it on a concrete base? I am building mine on raised walls about a foot off the ground with a wooden floor.

"used a lot" what a polite way to say messy :D :D
assuming you workshop is 5x4m you need to keep the roof profile as low as possible the height issue is more likley to upset people nearby
the limit being 3m i believe now for a apex roof so you need to keep that in mind

there have been several threads about several sheds with several opinions about floors lol my way and thoughts are only one
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=216577&highlight=

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back