New worktop question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Ive had a new worktop and sink fitted but the worktop sticks out too far , much further than the original and the fitter said its because we have had a granite sink fitted and it needs more support. Is there any difference in fitting a granite or composite ? and any idea on the cost to replace a 3m worktop and fit a sink please ( rough ideas )

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just noticed its not straight as well , its 10cm from the wall at one end and 9.5 at the other :cry:

Sponsored Links
usually granite sinks are composite, unless it is carved from a single block of granite.
Why is it so far away from the wall? Who chose the actual worktop, you or the fitter?

65mm off of the door, that's an overhang of 85mm from carcass, which is ridiculous.

Granite sinks are normally 500mm wide so the cut out is 480mm wide. I normally have an overhang of 30-40mm carcass to front of worktop with the front of the sink cut out 65-70mm from the front of the worktop.

So on a 600 top you would have a front bar of 65 - 70mm and a back bar of 50-55mm.

On granite sinks the tap is normally inset into the sink which gives plenty of clearance for tap levers.

If its undermount, the front and back bar are deeper due to the overhang into the sink, but the distance for overhang carcass to front of worktop is still 30-40mm not 85mm.

The only exception is handless where the overhang is less, carcass to front of worktop 25mm.

Sounds a bit fishy to me.

I think he cut the hole for the sink and hadn’t taken into account the new one was wider than the existing and wanted some taking off the back before cutting the hole

I think he cut the hole for the sink and hadn’t taken into account the new one was wider than the existing and wanted some taking off the back before cutting the hole
Thats a school boy error.

Scribe worktops at 40mm overhang, measure for sink.

Is it reasonable to expect the joiner to measure the new worktop before they cut it or is it up to the customer to point out the new worktop is wider. ( hindsight is a wonderful thing)
Additional questions do most joiners fit the worktop and sink or just the worktop.
Thanks

An experienced carpenter/kitchen fitter would measure the new worktop for the carcas depth it is sitting on then reduce it to suit, then the sink is set out and cut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back