Repair on blown Fibreboard sink carcass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have granite work tops which are fitted over melamine faced chipboard. The kitchen sink is recessed under the granite. I’ve noticed the sink is springing down from the granite and leaking. On closer inspection I’ve noticed that the supporting MFC underneath the sink has had water-ingress and ‘blown’: bowing down away from the granite and allowing the sink to drop.

from what I can see (the kitchen was fitted when I bought the house) the sink is not supported by clips fixed to the underside of the granite, but is resting on top of the MFC with the granite laid on top.

I’m not really looking at a new kitchen- other jobs are a priority.

I’m wondering if there is any way to repair and re-secure the sink without lifting the granite tops? I was thinking it may be possible to either cut out the supporting MFC and replace it with timber, or fix some mounts to the underside of the granite worktop with epoxy to support the sink?

if anyone has managed to do this I’d be grateful for any guidance!

Sponsored Links
In situ replacement is always a (sometimes difficult) possibility. Any chance of a couple of photographs?

You may be able to support with a kitchen leg fixed directly below supporting timber and cranked up tight .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back