Desperate need of help.. sink come away from granite w'top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into a house recently to find the sink is falling away from the granite worktop, and Im struggling to find any way to fix it...

Its an undermount steel 1.5 sink, which is basically straddling 2 1000mm units. So essentially where these 2 units join together is supporting between the two sinks. The sink was then simply sealed using silicone, so no other fixings or ply used.

The supporting frame of the cupboards has turned to Weetabix, due to water ingress. We did try to support the sink with wood, and reseal, but this last a couple of months.

As its a U shaped worktop, and the sink being in the middle of the bottom of the U, I don't even think we could remove the granite, which would be best so we could then replace the 2 1000m units, ply the top of the units and refit the sink.

I don't know if we could retrofit any fixing kits to the sink, could we for example screw into the granite, to fix the sink securely?

In desperate need of a way to fix this without great expense, as we would probably look to refit the kitchen in a year or two, so just need something to keep us going...

Sponsored Links
Don't think about drilling and plugging the granite, consider some sort of timber frame, free standing maybe, that would support the sink in place.....cutting the end panels away.
I've seen so many siliconed sinks, it makes you wonder what's going on sometimes!
John :)

Photo's would help.
(Of the sink & underneath - not your cat :) )

Odds are that you will have to bite the bullet and replace the two units. Water damage attracts fungal infection which can spread.

The sink, of course, also has the plumbing trap etc. attached which could cause leaks if displaced, plus the h/w and c/w supplies are at risk - if they go they will go in the night or when you are not home.

Depending on the size of the hole, you might be able to get a SS inset drop-in sink to carry you over until refurbishment time.

Drilling granite is an everyday business for people who fit granite but its not for DIY'ers.

I've seen heavy (not SS) undermount sinks held up with "glue" that have been in place for years but i'd never risk it.

Sponsored Links
Hmm.. good point about the water damage and fungal spread!...

Attached images, although should include some from front too..

21000_20230_89448_84792424_thumb.jpg

21000_20230_89449_19182182_thumb.jpg

21000_20230_89450_36647103_thumb.jpg

You need to post the DIYnot BBCode's for the photos, then they should expand properly. I would have done it myself but you're one of them! Your profile is private. :rolleyes:

The job looks to be a DIY install - very rough, & rather recent(?).

Is that a bead of adhesive or has some kind of gasket been used under the rim?

Given the way the cabinets have been hacked about it seems that they didn't prepare the units properly, if so, sink and granite could have been up and down more times than ...

Maybe the sink is not a "true" undermount sink but an inset sink used as an undermount sink?

The two 1000 units can be removed if you have reasonable DIY skills. But what then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back