Belfast sink nightmare

Sponsored Links
Well you may be right Terry but at least we have something to try. I just can't bear to thing of taking those worktops up. Thanks for your advice it's very much appreciated and at least I'm prepared for the worst.

I wouldn't personally try to repair what is obviously not fit for purpose Andy. Once you start fratting about with filler you would be giving the supplier / manufacturer a "get out of jail free card". My advice would be to contact them ,with a view to having it replaced entirely at their expense .

Don't forget this is not just a straight replacement, the worktop will need to be removed. We both know that the sink supplier will not cover that cost, so it might be worth a go at the repair.

Andy

Sponsored Links
I can see both points of view here and you have both given great advice. I desperately needed someone other than my plumber to give their view and I think I know where I stand now after you have both helped me. My plumber seems to think he can keep trying with different washers but it won't work I can tell. He's off on holiday for 2 weeks on Thursday so need to get this sorted tomorrow. I can't believe how wrong this has all gone. Thank you both for helping me with this problem.

Hi Myra :)
Darned bad luck with that one.....I don't suppose the sink took a bash when it was installed?
Anyway, if you do decide to try a repair, I can endorse the product that Andy suggests. The surface needs to be completely dry and grease free, the putty is best moulded with your fingers when its warm and the level needs to be slightly high.....when its curing, the putty can be carved with a knife but once its dry it can be filed down to create a flange that is as flat as possible.
With this done and the putty completely set, the waste can be reassembled with silicone and you may just be lucky! I'd certainly give it a go but of course any claim might be questioned - I'll leave that to you.
Other epoxy putties are available, but they won't necessarily be white!
Best wishes
John :)

Thanks for that John - you've given me hope as usual. Why does it always happen to me?!!
I think we should phone the company who sold it to us (and faulty taps by the way) and explain what we are going to do. I suppose they may send someone out to verify and I do have the photos but I think the repair is worth a go and your instructions are wonderful. Thank you again.

Do you know the make of the sink, Myra? The price varies enormously - I fitted one for a neighbour that cost close to a grand :eek: - But of course some now come from the Orient :( and that's on a different scale altogether.
John :)

Hi myanne , can you confirm that the " deformed " hole is not visible when viewed from the top , and is only on the underside of the sink please. I can't really understand why it wasn't noticed when it was being fitted . anyway ,if you really dont want to have it changed , its worth a go at a repair .best of luck with it .

You can see it if you really look for it but it's on the near side so difficult to see at the moment but when not in place I'm sure it could have been seen. It should have been checked and you only have to run your finger round it to feel it too. This "repair" has been going on for over a week now!

There are lots of high quality mastics that will cure this issue .
You need a decent plumber and a decent mastic. You have a crap quality sink though TBH.

Are you sure the waste hole was not chipped when the sink was installed, your plumber should have checked before they installed it.

as mentioned i think the key to this is is it an original distortion or is it a later chip?
i think a distortion in the glaze will still be glazed over, not always but most times.
a chip will show the fireclay.
if it was chipped in transit the installer should have noticed when preping the waste and taps before fitting in position.
sometimes the sink can be removed by droppin it from its frame or unit.but not easy
sometimes using one of the sealants mentioned and a large rubber cone washer will catch any distortion.

On Belfast sinks under the strainer I always use plumbers mate never had a problem........

Drop the strainer in the outlet hole don't fasten it down centralise it as best as you can and take a picture from above and below so we can see what's going on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back