Plumbing in Belfast Sink???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Probably not the most complicated thing to do in the world but I thought I'd see if you have any tips before I go home and try it tonight!! We have a belfast sink, the overflow exits below the plug via a letterbox type hole in sink which obviously lines up with a similar hole in the waste shaft Only one seal was supplied, I guess this goes on under the sink and not under the plug. How tight does the bolt have to be, I don't want to crack the sink!!! Any tips on lining the overflow hole up with the sink or is it just a case of getting it as close as?

Thanks!! Probably all just common sense but just in case....

Sponsored Links
Is the seal a large plastic washer? Well back in the stone(sink) age I used to wrap some hemp round the washer....across the face from the inner hole...all the way round and smear with boss white ........then a bit of putty on the inside under the flange and tighten up the large nut...............You got an antique sink that`s an antique way to seal it :LOL: Maybe , just maybe plumbers mait might seal it as well :eek:line hole and hold with 2 screwdrivers thru waste ;) You`ll never crack one of those by tightening a waste :LOL:

Cheers Nige, had a go at it before I read this, it went as follows...........

Yep, there is one black washer which is quite rubbery, I put this under the plug. I put the tougher plasticy washer under the sink and did my nut up as tight as I dared (I know you said I wouldn't break it but if it could happen to me it would!!). The result was a very wet cupboard!! Seeing as it's not antique (came from MFI) and it has no instructions, I thought it should be possible to plumb in without sealent, should I just overload it with mastick?? Doesn't seem right to me??

Thanks again!

Due to the belfast havin a large gap to fill the best way nowadays is to use silicone where u put the rubber washer fit the waste in the sink.Then pump silicone between the waste & sink from under side( cut nozel very large so as not to block the overflow slots,) then slide on the rubber washer .\then the plastic then the back nut. then smear silicone all over the washers & nut when all is tight.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Bab, will do this but just seemed a bit extreme but I guess there is no reason to want to remove the plug ever??

Its what i allways do now & they will come out easy at a later date if u undo the nut & turn the waste with grips . silicone has no grip against turning chrome.

Ok, many thanks, should have a working sink tonight then!! How long should I leave the silicone before using the sink as there's going to be quite lot of it and not exposed??

The manufactures recomend 24hrs but ive never had em leak after an hour.

Great, I've filled it up with sealant tonight, will give it a try tomorrow, want to give it some time to go off!

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back