Belfast sink waste

Sorry you have such a lowly opinion of women running online shops
I don't know why people use the word "sorry" when they're not. But since you've raised it, I don't have a low opinion of women, or people who run online shops, merely those people (men too - just ask Agile) who make the slightest mention of selling when answering a post that has nothing to do with selling.

she's telling me I have the correct fitting, not trying to sell me a new one!
You're right. And I have to say that the technical content of jb73's post was superb.

Had I put a huge link saying you can buy here....... then yes your advertising comment would be justified.. but actually I didn't .. nor did I mention the company, nor did I offer to sell her anything.
I completely accept all of that.

All I did was confirm she had the correct part that she had already bought.
Nope - if you'd done nothing more than that then I'd have had no objection. The bit that I personally object to, on the grounds that it's what people who want to advertise do, is mention that you sell online the part that enna is using.

I asked about the plug and chain because, if she didn't have one I would have sent her one for free.
That's a magnanimous offer, which I can do nought but admire.

Do I still need to b*****r off or can I actually contribute something useful to this forum like everyone else instead?
No you don't. And whilst the basis of my comment still applies, please accept my apologies for being somewhat crusty earlier on.

Sponsored Links
Hello,
At the risk of playing this out on the boards, don't worry any earlier crustiness is completely forgotton.
With regards to my comments, I understand your reservations but my comments were actually intended as a response to Ennas comments that "the comment from one XXXX employee 'don't worry about it darling, your plumber will sort it out!" I was just trying to validate that I do know what I am talking about and yup I am a woman" More of a "put that in your pipe and smoke it to the aformentioned employee, (not that he'll read this but it made me feel better!)

I hope that clarifies things cheers
JB

By look of it you actually have the correct waste, the previous post was right to say,not to use an unslotted one as it does gunk up and stink! ( been there and done that courtesty of a plumber who thought "it would do"!!).

The holes are not to let water out of but actually to let wth water into. if you look at the bottom of your belfast sink there should be a well area, so that as water flows into the overflow at the top of the sink, it runs down into the "well" area, back through the holes and then down through the waste tail. Therefore the holes should sit between the two layers of the belfast sink waste and then the nut will create a water tight seal leaving the rest of the tail exposed to connect the trap to.

I'm not clear how the waste overflow works. There is nothing connecting the overflow with the holes in the waste, so would I be right in thinking that the gap between the waste and the sink (is this what you mean by the well area?) fills up to the level of the holes, at which point the excess pours into the waste, relying on the washer at the bottom to stop anything leaking?

We had a Belfast sink installed 12 years ago. There was no washer at the top of the waste (or as far as I am aware any sealant), only a washer at the bottom. I don't think it has ever overflowed, but it has just started leaking around the washer, and it looks like 12 years of solidified gunk has built up between the sink and the waste, presumably coming out of the overflow holes in the waste, eventually somehow forcing its way past the washer at the bottom and building up around the waste pipe.

The problem may have been exacerbated by an occasional backing up in the pipe when running the washing machine and dishwasher, if everything empties at the same time. It does not happen often, but perhaps over 12 years, it's happened enough times to cause the problem?

But what's to stop water flowing out of these holes when emptying the sink normally?

Sponsored Links
A belfast sink with a built in waste needs a slotted waste fitting,
seal at top & bottom (I find silicone best for this) and don't worry about what goes on in between, they have worked fine like this for many years.

BelfastSink.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back