Belfast sink waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read previous forum entries re Belfast sinks but can't find the answer I need! I bought a 'suitable' waste from Plumbase - it has two holes for the overflow. I only have one overflow in the sink. How do I stop the water going out of the holes? Also, if it's possible to get a waste fitting with only one hole - how do you seal the hole in the waste fitting against the overflow hole? :( ;)

Sponsored Links
I thought that all Belfast sinks had a built in overflow?

I also thought that genuine wastes for Belfast sinks had no seperate overflow inlet?

Possibly what you have been sold is just a wider waste for use on some stainless sinks with seperate overflow connections.

If I had to deal with blocking an extra inlet or two I would just block it with one of the plugs that come with new boilers and seal it in position with sealant.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks - good idea, except where do I get a plug? Not being a plumber (as you can probably tell), merely trying to get the sink working; I guess anything which fits the hole would do if I can seal it with sealant.
Thanks again :p

Its very difficul;t for me to immagine what you have ended up with!

A proper waste would come complete with plug and chain!!!

Tony

Its very difficul;t for me to immagine what you have ended up with!
I don't know why you even bother, bearing in mind your claim that you don't do plumbing. :rolleyes:

Not all 'Belfast style' sinks have an overflow.

McAlpine basket strainer waste kits (and imitations) come with a blank to go over the overflow inlet for sinks that don't have an overflow.

this is getting confusing. I have an old belfast sink with an overflow. Attached is pix of waste fitting I have bought. This has two holes (one can be seen, the other is opposite) to take water from the overflow. I don't need the overflow to work as the sink is outside and overflow is unlikely to be a problem. I think that if I fit this fitting the water draining from the sink (not the overflow) will escape through the holes in the fitting.
PS I may not be a plumber but am quite capable of diy despite the comment from one Plumbase employee 'don't worry about it darling, your plumber will sort it out!' Pffff...
[/img]

providing you seal the washer and nut when fitting it will be ok. same as a basin waste. or use a not slotted waste.

Do not, under any circumstances, use an unslotted waste on a Belfast type sink if it has a built-in overflow.

Gunk will collect between the sink and the threaded tail. It will then rot and stink more than you can believe.

Also, don't go to Plumbase if you want to be treated with any respect.

Hello Ena,
First of all sorry to hear you have had such a nightmare with your merchants. I actually run an online company selling these wastes amongst others... and I am a woman!

By look of it you actually have the correct waste, the previous post was right to say,not to use an unslotted one as it does gunk up and stink! ( been there and done that courtesty of a plumber who thought "it would do"!!).

The holes are not to let water out of but actually to let wth water into. if you look at the bottom of your belfast sink there should be a well area, so that as water flows into the overflow at the top of the sink, it runs down into the "well" area, back through the holes and then down through the waste tail. Therefore the holes should sit between the two layers of the belfast sink waste and then the nut will create a water tight seal leaving the rest of the tail exposed to connect the trap to.

I hope that makes sense.. did they actually provide you with a plug and chain by the way?

regards
Jenny

I actually run an online company selling these wastes amongst others... and I am a woman!
A woman who's after some free advertising, more like.

I'd never hit a woman, but I have no problem telling you to b*gger off.

Softus - thanks for all the tips. Sorry you have such a lowly opinion of women running online shops - she's telling me I have the correct fitting, not trying to sell me a new one!

Jenny - thanks for the help. I guess I have to fit it and see what happens. The waste 'tube' part is smaller in diameter than the sink hole, and there is no well in the sink hole (already checked that one out). Still, I'll let you know how I get on.

By the way - this is the first time I've used diynot forum and am v. pleased and happy with all the quick help and comments. Thanks a lot everyone.
Enna

Softus....
Had I put a huge link saying you can buy here....... then yes your advertising comment would be justified.. but actually I didn't .. nor did I mention the company, nor did I offer to sell her anything. All I did was confirm she had the correct part that she had already bought. I asked about the plug and chain because, if she didn't have one I would have sent her one for free.

Do I still need to bugger off or can I actually contribute something useful to this forum like everyone else instead?

cheers
Jenny

ok-wink.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back