Newbie - Atempting Plastering Job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im attempting a small plastering job.
It's indoors, but in a small outhouse in the garage so the finish isn't too important.
I've knocked the old cracked (blown) plaster back to sound plaster and now need to re-plaster the area (about 2 square metres).

The plaster has been knocked off down to the brickwork.

This is my first plastering job and would appreciate advise on what type of plaster to buy. i'd prefer to use something that is already mixed and just requires water, but i'm really not sure what i should buy.

All i know is that it needs two plaster coats. The base and a finish.

Any help appreciated.

Andy

Sponsored Links
AndyJay said:
Im attempting a small plastering job.
It's indoors, but in a small outhouse in the garage so the finish isn't too important.
I've knocked the old cracked (blown) plaster back to sound plaster and now need to re-plaster the area (about 2 square metres).

The plaster has been knocked off down to the brickwork.

This is my first plastering job and would appreciate advise on what type of plaster to buy. i'd prefer to use something that is already mixed and just requires water, but i'm really not sure what i should buy.

All i know is that it needs two plaster coats. The base and a finish.

Any help appreciated.

Andy

Andy

You will need to buy bonding plaster to go onto the brickwork and build this level with the existing, you will then need finishing plaster that is applied thinly to give you the final finish. This finish can be polished as it is drying. I find if you seal the walls with unibond or equivelent it helps.

Thanks Terry1234

Thats just what i needed to know.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

What should is the plaster/water ratio be?

Andy

please note 10a which is here

Keep adding water to the plaster until you have the consistency of whipped cream. Add the water in stages, making sure that all of the water has been mixed thoroughly with the plaster before adding more. Be careful towards the end, because you do not need to add much water at the end to go past the required consistency.

Sponsored Links
When mixing i use a mixer that goes on to the drill, it takes the hard work out of the mixing just be carfull you don't mix it too fast, and run your drill afterwards unloaded to cool it down!!!

i did a right bodged job of a bit of plastering.. all lumpy and horrible.. and managed to make it look fine by sanding it down with wet and dry on plank of wood... just a tip should it all go horribly wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back