Damp proof and re-plaster quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have just had a quote for a damp proof/ re-plaster job and I would appreciate some input as to if the quote is reasonable. It is for a small downstairs toilet - the room is square and just big enough for a toilet and small sink. The quote was £840 and included:
- chipping away the plaster and putting a new damp proof membrane behind it to a height of 1.5 metres.
- putting plasterboard over this and then re- plastering the whole room.
- tidying up and taking away old materials.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.
He used his moisture sensor sticking pins in the wall. He seemed to think that the damp proof membrane has failed based on the fact that he got a high moisture reading from the bottom of the wall when he put the pins in.
I'm also looking to put in an extractor fan to help with any condensation but using a different tradesman for this.

Oh I forgot to say that the room has 2 walls that are outside with just a single layer of bricks and then obviously plaster. Not sure if that is relevant or not.

Single skin brick plastered is never going to be good. The damp could either be coming through the wall or internal condensation.

Ideally insulation needs to be fitted as part of the process although this will impact on the internal space available.

If you're going to fit an extractor (good idea) then do it before the room is plastered - holes in walls and electrical cables to install better done before final finish.

Sponsored Links
You can't detect damp in a wall with a meter, you have to drill and take a core sample. A wall lined with foil [previous owner did mine thinking it would improved heat retention] will give a sky high reading but does not mean there is damp.Toilet should have a fan as a matter of course.
Damp source has to be found and rectified, suggested work is pointless and futile.

Its very cheap if he intends to do it properly by removing the WC and basin and only leaving plumbing stubbs in the walls: the wall membrane can slip over the stubbs.
He'd be as well to remove all wall plaster and use a render to "re-plaster" given that its probably a single brick, converted outside compartment.
Stay away from wall plaster board in that situation.
Using any form of insulation, or not, is a site call.
Did he examine the condition of the outside walls and height of ground level?

£840 (VAT?) is working for wages, its not a business price.

Thanks for reply guys. Insulation did cross my mind but the room really is tiny and I think any insulation would take up too much room. I think you have talked me out of the work though. I may get an extractor fan fitted though to begin and see if damp stays away after this. I did consider getting extractor fan and then getting the room done out in the plastic panels to make the damp easier to just clean away. Although I'm aware that this is potentially just masking the problem.

He did examine walls outside and said that they did have damp proof membrane which he believed had failed. The price doesn't include removal of the wc and basin. He does intend to use plasterboard though and then skim over this.

Your comment about "cleaning away" the damp sounds more like condensation than damp from outside. What exactly does it look like?

If this room has single-brick uninsulated walls, and the rest of the house has more substantial (e.g. cavity) and insulated walls, then it is probably the coldest spot in the house - and it is where moisture from ELSEWHERE in the house will condense.

Do you have extractors in the kitchen and bathroom? How do you dry clothes? Remove the moisture at the source.

It looks like black mould on the wall. It is mainly near the bottom of the 2 outside walls of the room. I've cleaned it and then it came back. No extractor fan in the toilet which I think is where I might start. We use a condenser drier to dry clothes and this is right next to the downstairs toilet in question.

Last edited:
Toilets don't create much moisture, compared to e.g. showers; fans in toilets are primarily to remove smells.
It won't do any harm adding an extractor in there, but if the problem goes away it's more likely because we're approaching the warmer part of the year.
Is there any heating in this room?

My advice would be get a bigger radiator and use it more often.

This solved the problem in our single skin brick bathroom in our old place.

We have a radiator in there and it is a fair size really considering the size of the room. Thanks for all the replies though. I appreciate all the input. At a bit of a loss what to do to be honest. I could get the room fully tiled and clean away any mould that comes back. I may just have to accept it is going to be there. The general consensus seems to be that single skin walls often have this problem. I don't think I'll spend 840 quid if it won't solve the problem.

Think about where else in the house you are creating moisture, and increase extraction there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back