plasterboard over damp course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive been a little put off the way I intend to board out my front room. I replaced the ceiling with new boards all fine. While doing the ceiling I noticed that a lot of the plaster at the top 1.5m was blown so decided to replace plaster on all walls with 12.5mm plasterboards. While hacking off old plaster I discovered that the first 1 - 1.5m from floor is sand cement damp proof course or whatever you call it.

I cant see the point of hacking this off and tanking with membrane or whatever. So my solution was to batten above damp course to bring me proud of damp course and use plasterboard adhesive over the damp course/sand cement.

The thing is my old man came round sayin "what you doin that for ....blah blah"

My question is can anyone see any problems with my intended plan of attack? any feedback will be much appreciated (as long as it is good) :D

Sponsored Links
im not completely sure about the "breathing" aspects of the render coat, but i do know d.p.c companies will only insure their warranties if the rendercoat is intact, with the appropriate admixtures of course.
d.p.c. company and warranty in the same sentence is a joke of course!
having said all this, i guess if you're not disturbing the rendering and only going over the top then i cant see any problems.
but, if there is a prevalence of damp or moisture in the wall as it stands, then dabbing may not be appropriate, as the warmth from the room plus a void behind the plasterboard may create problems in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back