newbie camera

Also invest in lots and lots of high quality SD cards, you can never have enough. Does he have a decent computer to edit the pics?

Another benefit of the DSLR is that you can find older lenses that fit that might not be motorised but will save you a packet picking them up at fairs etc.

Hmm, I think we should start a bit basic, my son is sadly a bit err, err, shall we say challenged (Not his fault, he was born effectively lifeless)

Sponsored Links
Hmm, I think we should start a bit basic, my son is sadly a bit err, err, shall we say challenged (Not his fault, he was born effectively lifeless)

I am sorry to hear that. Sometimes we do not realise how lucky we are and complain when about our kids.

Hats off to you.

I am sorry to hear that. Sometimes we do not realise how lucky we are and complain when about our kids.

Hats off to you.

It's fine, no worries, he's a lazy sod, so spending a lot of money on something he possibly won't understand is a bit silly. He's basically a good lad, if sadly as thick as 2 short planks.

It's fine, no worries, he's a lazy sod, so spending a lot of money on something he possibly won't understand is a bit silly. He's basically a good lad, if sadly as thick as 2 short planks.
There's quite a few online photography communities (all abilities) where you take and upload a photo a day for a year. They can be an excellent way of learning, connecting with other budding snappers and feeling good about yourself if you think motivation might wane?

Sponsored Links
This site has links to all the best deals:
https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk

It depends on the budget, but worth noting that if you buy a camera with a 18-55 kit lens, its going to be fairly limited. Ideally you'd need a 70-200 or even 70-300 to complement. If you want to do creative shots like narrow depth of field, you will need a low F-stop lens, which don't come cheap.

Digital cameras come with different sized sensors that are what captures the image. Generally speaking, bigger sensors can capture more detail, so better image. But not as simple as that, because it also depends on the processor inside the camera on how it alters the image and the quality of the lens.
SLR cameras have a mirror to allow you to look through the lens to see the exact image you will photograph.
Mirror less cameras have advantage of more compact. (Sony and Fuji worth a look).

Most SLR and mirror less and some of the better compact cameras use an APS sized sensor which is much larger than those inside typical small cameras.

Some professional and semi professional cameras use a full frame sensor that is similar to the old 35mm film image.
Bridge cameras look similar to SLR cameras but many use a small sensor (some do have larger APS) and have advantage of large lens and tend to be very inexpensive.
If your son wants to own a creative camera other than a good phone camera, maybe go for Bridge camera at £100 to £200 range.

Do not spend a lot of money unless you think your son is definitely going to be capable and enthusiastic about using it.
I have a Nikon D7200 kit, (about £1000) which is a semi professional camera in many points, but difficult to use if not experienced with it.
For to be part of the crowd and avoiding heavy large cameras, it is best to have a smallish camera. Even many Professional photographers use compact cameras, - some solely

Last edited:
I've always liked Canons, had a 20D a few years back. I'd get a Canon EOS 4000D DSLR - I am hoping to get a new one when I finally finish renovating my house ... so in about 5 years!

Give him a thousand quid and tell him to go and get what he wants. That is what a decent camera will cost. That way he could actually get something (not neccessarily a camera) that an 18 year old lad actually wants.

I've always liked Canons, had a 20D a few years back. I'd get a Canon EOS 4000D DSLR - I am hoping to get a new one when I finally finish renovating my house ... so in about 5 years!

I don't think you'll be impressed with the above. I know its entry level, but the processor in that camera is ancient.

Give him a thousand quid and tell him to go and get what he wants. That is what a decent camera will cost. That way he could actually get something (not neccessarily a camera) that an 18 year old lad actually wants.

Haha, I don't think so, you should perhaps know he's one of twins (eek!)

I don't think you'll be impressed with the above. I know its entry level, but the processor in that camera is ancient.

Surely better than nothing though? I've not done any proper photography in years, pretty much stopped when I had kids. My 20D was getting regular errors when I last used it, and old style external battery charger, and not much storage, and slow.

But maybe there's a better budget Canon out there.

Do you still have the lenses for your 20d? They will happily work with any of the current Canons.
The 800d seems to be a refresh of the original 7D, which still is a great sports photography camera. Probably one of the best APS-C models out there even by today's standard. Lots of 7d mk1s going for under £300 on eBay, with lenses.

My Mrs (who is a photographer) uses a 5d mk4 and has an old 7D as backup. That 4000d is basically an updated 450/550d. Fantastic camera when launched, but now 10 years old.

Yea, got all the old lenses. Cannot justify spending £628 on a camera though, as much as I'd like to!
Think we need a cooker first ...

What lenses do you have - that should really drive the decision. If you have APS-C (EF-S) then a used 7D will be a great upgrade and body only they can be had for <£200

I used to use this site and forum alot for my DSLR advice, bit out of touch so i wouldn't like to specify the best at the mo, but it's full of reviews and a forum on par with us intelligent ones here :)

https://www.dpreview.com/

Sponsored Links
Back