Newbie:- how to install a new radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,

I am going to connect a new radiator in the bathroom this weekend (the old one just does not fit in its old corner :rolleyes: ) And I got a couple of questions:-

1) does it matter what direction the water should flow thru the radiator?
As I look at the radiator hanging on the wall I would like to connect the flow to the left hand side and the return to the right hand side.

2) What end of the radiator is best to stick the Thermostatic valve on? The instructions say either end of the rad. and either in the flow or return.
I would like to place the T.V on the flow(left hand side)

sorry if these question seem trivial - if you could just point me to a good site that will do!!!!!! :idea:

rgds

Sponsored Links
ANY DIRECTION FOR WATER FLOW IF A STANDARD RAD AND MOST NEW STAT VALVES WILL WORK ON FLOW OR RETURN , FOLLOW VALVE INSTRUCTIONS

MOD

see item6

does it make a difference which side I place the bleed valve - I normally see it on the flow side?

Sponsored Links
I would like to place the T.V on the flow(left hand side)

As long as you can still reach the valve when it's behind the telly...

On some rads (not all) around the house I notice a tap connection just below the Thermo Valve. (I assume this is on the flow side). Is worth fitting one of these to drain the rad or re they juse a nicety?

40012_a.jpg

like this :?: :?:

makes draining / removing the rad easier
usually fitted to rads fed from above as well :D

No I believe they are called a "Draw off Cock" I assume that they are for draining the rad. and NOT getting rid or airlocks?

OK but which pipe is best to fit the draincock is it the flow or return or doesn't it matter? Also I intend to use PTFE tape to seal all connections is that satisfactory is there anything better. I notice the old rad had alot of gunge around the valves.

thanks for your help btw

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back