Newbie needs help putting up bathroom cabinets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

First post here and I am hoping some of you experts can help me.

I have 2 LILLÅNGEN cabinets from Ikea that need to go up in my bathroom, and their sizes are as follows:

40x21x64 (12.3kg) - IKEA Small Cabinet

and

60x21x64 (17.5kg) - IKEA Large Cabinet

I live in a new build (The property is approx 18 months old), and there's a lot of plasterboard.

The wall I want to hang these cabinets on is a dry wall attached to a frame, and I have been told that the drywall has been doubled up - because on the other side is the next property.

I have been let down by several people who have offered to put these up for me, and other people who I have called from the Yellow Pages and Thomson Local are charging a minimum of £65 per hour - which I think is absolutely outrageous.

So, seeing as I cannot get anyone to do it (unless I fork out money that will equate to more than the cost of the cabinets) I have decided to do it myself. The cabinets have been sitting in my hallway for almost a month and I just want the darn things up on the wall.

I have bought a Stanley IntelliSensor Pro Multi-depth Stud Finder, so I have an idea of where the studs are.

Once the screws/fixings are in, it will be just a case of hanging the cabinet on to the fixings in the wall.

My question is this, what type of screws do I use to fix these cabinets to the studs? and what size should they be?

Also, I believe that there may be an area where I will have to use those wall plugs that expand at the back, as there is no stud to attach the cabinet to. I have read that applying a joining screw to the two cabinets will also help them stay up. Can anyone recommend a joining/bridging screw please?

Thank you for reading my post, and I hope that one of you experts can help me with this. I am past frustrated being let down time and time and time again by people, so I just need to sort this out myself now.

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

Sponsored Links
If you have a void behind the plasterboard, buy Snap Toggles, they are an American fastener which is their market leader.

Isaac Lord in High Wycombe do or Toolmonkey in Leighton Buzzard

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

Link doesn't work from my blackberry. Will try it on a computer in the morning.

As for the wood joists, am I supposed to drill a hole, insert a plastic plug, then use a long wood screw?

As for the wood joists, am I supposed to drill a hole, insert a plastic plug, then use a long wood screw?

Uhm, no, you just put a decent sized screw into the noggin or stud. Why would you use an expansion plug?

I have never had to attach anything to a joist before. That is why I am here asking.

I think Tinks meant to say "Thank you for giving me the knowledge I could not find myself, with the information you gave I am now able to use a search engine to source the materials I need myself."

No.

What Tinks meant is that if someone is going to recommend something, then at least supply a bit more information than just a name of a US based product when I live in the UK.

I thought £65 per hour was overcharging, but now I understand everything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back