Newbie painting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Basically I’m new to diy, in my first house and decided to paint the gas and electric meter cupboards on the outside walls of the house, I went to a diy shop and was told to use sandtex, I sanded the cupboards down, not completely to the plastic but well into the old paint.

I started applying the santex black satin paint and all seemed ok although it’s very thick and it needed about 3 coats, I waited the recommended time between coats “16 hours”

Basically I’m not happy with the end result, there are patches that have a sheen and patches that looked Matte and loads of brush marks

I read online that rubbing alcohol can be used to take the gloss off the paint but it hasn’t helped much

I would like to make the work look better, I’d like a smoother finish I just don’t know how so any input would be great as it’s stressing me out :)

Thanks everyone

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/newbie-painting-problem.503532/#ixzz5H1CplufL

Sponsored Links
Meter boxes are a composite material a sort of re-enforced resin as a rule, breaking through to the "unglazed" surface "like on fibreglass breaking the gel coat" will give a "matter" surface than where old gloss paint has been applied. It is called flashing where for example a hole in a porous plaster wall has been filled with a smooth filler the finish is different if the surface is not sealed evenly.
I would very lightly rub down the surface to reduce brush marks, then redo using a mini foam roller. That's what I used on mine, you will get a even slightly stippled surface, work very fast, modern water based paint dries almost instantly giving no time for brush marks to flow out like older paints. With luck you have sealed the surface by now. Avoid hot days or sunshine and wipe the surface over with a damp lint free rag just before painting. Oh and chuck the roller afterwards total waste of water trying to get them clean again!

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-4-gloss-roller-sleeves-5-pack/2637v

Any fiddly bits can be cut in first with a dampened brush then rollered up to.

Thanks for the advice

Ok, I’ve spent this evening sanding two meter cupboards and a bt phone line cable cover thingy that’s screwed to the wall, they are all smooth and clean, I used white spirits after also to make sure the surfaces are clean.

Now I need to paint again, I threw the sandtex in anger as I blamed the paint for the poor finish when in fact it’s probably me. It’s nasty stuff if you get it on your hands is it definitely water based ?

Anyway... should I use sandtex again or is there something better that you can recommend ?

Thanks again

Are you looking to go satin or matt black again?

Sponsored Links
There’s plastic pipes running up to the boxes from the ground which looked ok so I didn’t sand them so I need to stick with satin, I’ve read that Matt is hard to clean as well? Would Matt give me a better finish?

Thanks

No I would go with satin as you say easier to clean. If you are keeping the painted pipes best to use the same paint. Several satin paints I have used I will have a check in the garage to confirm which I used.
You could try again with the sandtex they sell sample pots one of those might well do a box.

Ok thanks, to be fair i could sand the pipes as well and just use a different paint, do i have to sand the old paint away completely or just cut into it a bit for the new paint? the sandtex came off in little rubbery flakes in places and in some places it was still wet, places where it was thicker, i painted it over a week ago is that normal?

Another problem is that it takes ages to dry, i need to paint inside the cupboard around the seem of the door which means i can't close the door until its dry and i have to wedge it open, a paint that dries quicker would be better, what are your thoughts on zinsser allcoat and Bedec MSP, both come in black satins and have good reviews but to be fair the sandtex is a good paint aswell, i'm very confused :)

Thanks again for your help

Bedec multi surface paint is what I found in the garage we used it for painting an old stone slab hearth it worked well it is suitable for outside too and quick drying. The other I like is Blackfriar but that is solvent based so not quick drying.
You do not need to strip back but the existing coat needs to be dry, maybe wipe down with suitable solvent (I would assume santex is water based) for the existing to remove the undried paint.

I thought sandtex might be oil based as when i get it on my hands its horrible and takes allot of scrubbing to get it off, ive only used interior paints that are water based and they wash of really easy

The bedec looks good, the zinsser dries and can be recoated in an hour and the reviews look dead good so might go for that

Not used the all coat but zinsser products are very good so should be a safe bet mind you zinsser while good are quite expensive products.

Hi again,

Ok, use the zinsser and its going on really well, used brush around the sides of the boxes and roller on the doors, done one coat on the doors with the roller, looks a bit patchy, you can see where the roller has been and theres a textured feel to the surface like loads of little bit probably from the roller, am i using the roller right?, sounds stupid but how many rolls should i do, im going left to right then back to the left then down a bit and right again?

is there a proper way of using a roller?

cheers

Yes as I said in my earlier post on Thursday you will get a even slightly stippled surface, if you are using a foam roller as I suggested it will not leave any fibres as the pile ones can.
Do not try to exhaust the roller each time you use it, refill before you find you start having to push to get paint out. Practice is the only way to get your technique right it is worth "laying off" in one direction, that is to say make your last strokes on the surface all in the same direction. I expect there are plenty of you tube videos on roller and painting technique might be worth having a look for some.(y)

Thanks for your help

Like i said i have brushed around the edges of the box, the there are brush marks but the finish is much better with the zinsser and it spreads so nicely, the finish is the same shade all over whereas with the sandtex it was patchy.

To be fair i might just use a brush on the doors as well, there will most likely be brush marks but at lease the finish will be even, i could use the roller but i'm getting a streaky finish with that and i prefer the smooth finish from a brush, like i said there will most likely be brush marks but oh well

So long as you are happy with the zinsser brush finish go for it!(y)
Zinsser products have not let me down yet.;)

Will i need to sand back what i have rolled on the doors? because of the stippled finsh?

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back