Newbie Plasterboarding help needed..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

im just about to pull down my old ceiling ( before it falls down).

Im doing the work myself ( have plasterboarded walls etc in the past)

the room is roughly 12' x 13' so im looking at using around 8 sheets of 1800 x 900 x 12.5.

Is this enough plasterboard?

i know i need to cut the boards to the joists and stagger them ( thanks to this website )

am just looking for a few tips :)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
depends which way the joist run, to give a good idea of amounts of boards to be used.
I try my best to use 2400X1200x12.5mm
So you have an area of 12x13ft so that equals 156sq ft.
each board has coverage of 18 sq ft so a rough estimate would be 9 boards.
You'll need more than 8.

Thanks, went for 6 2400x1800x12.5 boards in the end and managed to pull the old ceiling down and put the new one up in about 2 days. ( plasterboard stands are a god send :) )

This website was a god send for info, thanks...

Just got to plaster it now lol.....

I'm a bit old school, use T props to hold boards in place, made out of a bit of 2x2 and slaters lath, or something near.
Usually manage to blag a joiner.
2400x1800 where did you get them?

Sponsored Links
my girlfriends stepdad had some proper plasterboard stands. a god send... once we got the boards up there.

as for the boards, i got them from Wickes. am sure they were 2400x1800, was going to go for the 1800x900 but the larger boards fitted easier and were cheaper as i used less

( dont recall exact size so i may be a little out lol)

2400X1200
is a standard size.
Never used or seen 2400x1800, take some getting up the and around stairs.
I have used 12ft boards but this needed specially ordering and that was a job with a spiral stair way, bl00dy nightmare. :confused:

2400X1200
is a standard size.
Never used or seen 2400x1800, take some getting up the and around stairs.
I’ve never seen 1800 wide boards either; mostly stocked/standard size is 2400 x 1200; you can get 2400 x 900 or 1800 x 900 but I’ve never used them.
I have used 12ft boards but this needed specially ordering and that was a job with a spiral stair way, bl00dy nightmare. :confused:
Not a prospect for wimps. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back