Need to fill a channel in the plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fill in a section of plasterboard approx 1 inch x 8 inch. I have had some electrical work done and the sparkie had to route new cables to a fan isolator switch. I told him to just cut a channel in the wall to lay the cables as we are re-decorating the room. It's on an external wall, the current plasterboard is just dot and dab onto the blockwork.

What is the best adhesive to use to stick a new piece of plasterboard in this channel?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
quickest and easiest route is stuff it with news paper and fill it with polyfilla. easy

I have an off-cut of plasterboard, just need something to stick the plasterboard to the wall. Will coving adhesive do the job?

Sponsored Links
Newspaper, wood, Polyfilla! :eek: No, no, no; all it will do is crack forevermore. :rolleyes: Do it properly; steel cap the cables for a start, then fill the recess with Bonding Plaster about 2mm below the surrounding level. Stick reinforcing tape over the joins, skim over & blend in with Multi finish. If there are some imperfections, then you can use Polyfiller but, personally, I would rather stick pins in my eyes!

use drywall adhesive to stick the board in the gap with. tape the joints and skim away...

Richard C would mean, to do the "overall job" properly,,,, which is always the best way. Bare cables, just sunk into a channel in a dot and dabbed wall would be a hazzard,, surely,, against picture hooks etc. Flat steel capping over the cables is the best way,,, then fill up the hole.

Roughcaster.

Nope, uncapped cables are not a hazard.

Cables less than 50mm from the surface require additional protection via a 30mA RCD - this would relate to new installations, alterations and additions.

The only way around this would be to run the cables in an earthed metallic conduit, earthed metallic trunking or use a cable with an earthed metallic sheath (only certain cables though).
Non of the above includes metal capping.

Flat steel capping over the cables is the best way,,, then fill up the hole.

That's not the best way.

From the electrical side of things,I've learnt something today Gary Mo. Thanks.

Roughcaster.

Do it properly; steel cap the cables for a start

Why?
No I don’t mean trunking & why not fit steel capping; I understand the regs, that it’s not a requirement & that you can just bury cables in the wall if that’s how you want to do it; under the 17th edition, you probably don’t even need to be sensitive about safe zones either but I’m not 100% sure. I would never leave bare cables just buried in plaster &, in my view that isn‘t a "proper job". Fitting the appropriate sized steel cap will make it easier to plaster but I guess many “sparks” wouldn‘t know or probably even care about that. :rolleyes: More importantly, it will give the cable some protection from thoughtless use of drills; an ordinary masonry bit is not designed to cut through steel & won‘t do that easily, it could just save the cable unless you’re a complete nunce & determined to push on regardless. RCD protection means the nunce almost certainly wont get fried but if at some future point this little bit of extra effort prevents all the hassle of having to replace the cable they’ve just drilled through, at around 40 pence a drop it’s worth it in my book. I’ve only just managed to get back to this post & thanks for your supportive efforts Rough, don’t be swayed from your view. ;)

Safe zones still apply under the 17th edition.
The reason capping is used it protection until the wall is covered, in other words from the plasterers trowel. No other reason. If protection against impact is specified then you need to look elsewhere.
It's not required for a 'proper job' if it's only a chase you're filling. I do however always use it but not metal, pvc which is the more popular choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back